Need Help Finding a Cable Quick Connector

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary: That would work, but it would be a bit of a pain to have to do that every time you wanted to connect or disconnect the LED panel.No, RJ-45 accepts 4 pairs..
2slowtogofast
Can someone suggest a product or point me in the right direction of something that will do the following.

I have a 24V DC LED panel connected to a dimmer by a cable that has 4 conductors with a 24 AWG size. I need to put a quick connect between the dimmer and the LED panel. The smaller this connector is the better. Can somebody help me out. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
Can someone suggest a product or point me in the right direction of something that will do the following.

I have a 24V DC LED panel connected to a dimmer by a cable that has 4 conductors with a 24 AWG size. I need to put a quick connect between the dimmer and the LED panel. The smaller this connector is the better. Can somebody help me out. Thanks.

RJ45? That's the standard connector for 24AWG phone cable...

Each RJ45 accepts 2 wires. So would I need to find one that works with 4 or could I just use 2 RJ45 connections to connect my 4 wires inside my cable.

2slowtogofast said:
Each RJ45 accepts 2 wires. So would I need to find one that works with 4 or could I just use 2 RJ45 connections to connect my 4 wires inside my cable.

No, RJ-45 accepts 4 pairs..

http://www.nullmodem.com/images/conn-rj-45m-picture2a.gif
conn-rj-45m-picture2a.gif

I am against using standard connectors for non standard things. You want something people won't plug their "whatever" in to.

That said, Molex connectors are almost always for carrying power. http://www.jameco.com/1/3/molex-panel-mount-connectors

Other "standards-like" choices are DB (like DB-7), Din, and other circular connectors. Just search for "panel mount power connectors" or just "panel mount connectors".

There may be some ready made molex cable assemblies too.

meBigGuy said:
I am against using standard connectors for non standard things. You want something people won't plug their "whatever" in to.

That's an excellent point, and a good policy. I was under the impression that the OP's system was pretty closed/private, so I didn't factor that consideration in. One compromise option would be to use the outside 2 pairs of conductors out of the 8, since those are hardly ever used in phone-type applications.

FAQ: Need Help Finding a Cable Quick Connector

1. How do I know what type of cable quick connector I need?

The type of cable quick connector you need will depend on the specific cables you are trying to connect. Make sure to check the compatibility of the connector with your cables before purchasing.

2. How do I find the right size for my cable quick connector?

You will need to measure the diameter of your cables to determine the correct size for your cable quick connector. You can also consult the manufacturer's specifications for the connector to ensure the correct fit.

3. Can I use any cable quick connector for all types of cables?

No, different types of cables require different types of connectors. It is important to choose a connector that is compatible with your specific cables to ensure proper function and avoid damage.

4. How do I install a cable quick connector?

The installation process may vary depending on the type of connector, but generally, you will need to strip the insulation from the end of your cables, insert them into the connector, and secure them using screws or crimping. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using cable quick connectors?

It is important to make sure the power is turned off before installing or removing a cable quick connector. Also, make sure the cables are properly secured and there are no exposed wires to avoid any potential electrical hazards.