Need help finding an equivalent spring constant

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar, springs, and a force being applied. The person has defined variables and found a relation between x2 and x1. However, they are stuck on finding a relation between X and x1. They also mention that k1 is not necessarily equal to k2 unless the bar has weight, which it doesn't in this problem.
enceladu5

Homework Statement

I have a attached a photo of the problem I'm trying to solve.

I defined x1 as displacement of the bar at the k1 spring, and did so similarly for x2 & k2.

It is known k1=k2 as the bar lies flat in equilibrium before the force is applied.+

By taking the moment about F, I found x2=x1*L1/L2

So far i have F=Ke*X=k1*x1+k2*x1*(L1/L2)
where Ke is the equivalent spring constant.
I'm stuck finding a relation between X and x1.

I'd like to thank any who can help in advance

Attachments

• quest.jpg
    quest.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
k1 is not necessarily equal to k2 before the force is applied (unless the bar has weight, which, in this problem it doesn't). Your displacement X at the load application location is related to x1 and x2 by a simple geometry problem.

Related to Need help finding an equivalent spring constant

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the variable "k" and is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

How do I find the equivalent spring constant of a spring system?

The equivalent spring constant of a spring system is the combined stiffness of all the individual springs in the system. It can be calculated by adding the individual spring constants together. For example, if a system has two springs with spring constants of 10 N/m and 15 N/m, the equivalent spring constant would be 25 N/m.

What factors can affect the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the number of coils, and the length and diameter of the spring. The temperature and applied force can also impact the spring constant.

Is there a formula for determining the spring constant of a spring?

Yes, the formula for determining the spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This formula is known as Hooke's Law.

Can the spring constant of a spring change over time?

Yes, the spring constant of a spring can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, or stretching. This is why it is important to regularly test and replace springs in systems that require a consistent spring constant.