Need help from FUNNY people (creating a game for my students)

SamRoss
Gold Member
I’m creating a game for my students called Royal Questions. The purpose of the game is to make any question-answer session fun. It’s loosely based on medieval times but really anything can happen. Here’s how it works: Students are selected randomly and asked to choose from the following adventure types…

Quest – The student answers a question alone.
Group Quest – The student and two others answer a question.
Challenge the Monarch – The student answers a question. If correct, he/she becomes the new monarch of the game
Call for Aid – The student and one other each answer separate questions (hoping the other will get theirs right)
Joust – The student and one other each answer separate questions (hoping the other will get theirs wrong)
Group Joust – Like a joust but 3 on 3.

To make the game fun to play, each adventure type is accompanied by a setup and multiple humorous endings depending on the outcome. Below are some examples for each adventure type. These are hard to think of, so I NEED YOUR HELP COMING UP WITH SOME MORE FUNNY SETUPS AND OUTCOMES.

QUEST Example
Setup:
King Danny honors you with a job working in his royal garden. You come across a wise old tree that can speak. It offers to share ancient secrets with you if you can answer a question correctly.
Correct: The tree reveals the secrets to growing moss and acorns, which you listen to out of politeness.
Incorrect: The royal groundskeeper sees you talking to a tree and asks if you're feeling alright.

GROUP QUEST Example
Setup:
The great sorcerer Upton O. Goode has been spotted in the kingdom, turning people into animals. He is too powerful to fight alone so you decide to bring your friends, Alice and Bob, to help you. Answer a question to defeat the sorcerer.
Correct: You are able to convince the sorcerer that he would be much happier using his magic powers to entertain children at birthday parties. A week later, a group of angry parents knock on your door after their kids were turned into monkeys.
Incorrect: The sorcerer's magic is too strong. You and your friends are turned into a lion, tiger, and bear. On the plus side, all three of you land roles in a local production of 'The Wizard of Oz'.

CHALLENGE THE MONARCH Example
Setup:
You meet a man wearing strange clothes that seem to be making noises. He says to you, "My name is Felix Cited and I am from the future. This timeline must not be allowed to continue. King Evan is a tyrant who will lead the kingdom into endless war. Please answer this question to dethrone the king."
Correct: Endless war has been averted. The new king has instead chosen to give his citizens endless salad and breadsticks.
Incorrect: Having failed in his mission to save the kingdom, Felix gets back in his time machine and decides to use it to win every lottery jackpot for 100 years, becoming the richest and most obnoxious person on Earth.

CALL FOR AID Example
Setup:
While strolling through the outskirts of Camelot, you make a wrong turn and get caught in quicksand! Luckily, a heroic villager named Brandon is nearby. You must both answer a question correctly to walk away from the quicksand.
Correct: Brandon stretches his arm out. You are able to grab hold of it while Brandon pulls you out. Brandon then hands you a pamphlet on quicksand safety and tells you to let it sink in.
Incorrect: Brandon shouts, "I'll save you, Cynthia!" and dives head-first into the quicksand. Not the best decision.

JOUST Example
Setup:
While sitting alone in a tavern, you overhear someone named John say, "You know, Queen Suzy isn't all that great. I don't understand why the people follow her." Incensed by this, you stand up. "How dare you besmirch the name of our good queen! Let's joust!"
Hero Wins: You convince John that Queen Suzy is the greatest queen of modern times. John has such a change of heart that he joins Suzy's campaign and helps to get her re-elected five times. This actually isn't so hard since Suzy had all of her opponents banished from the kingdom.
Villain Wins: You grudgingly concede that Queen Suzy is not all she's cracked up to be. The queen hears this and has you exiled from Camelot. Meanwhile, Queen Suzy says she appreciates John's honesty and promptly makes him senior royal advisor to her majesty.
Draw: You and John decide to compromise and agree that Queen Suzy has a good foreign policy but could do better on healthcare (leeches are becoming outdated).

GROUP JOUST Example
Setup:
You own a restaurant in town. You were serving two of your regular customers, John and Mary, when three zombies stormed in! These zombies used to be good people named Alice, Bob, and Carol, but now they want to eat your customers' brains—and that's not on the menu. Despite having put too much salt in their soup, your loyal customers agree to fight by your side to defeat the zombies.
Heroes Win: You are able to drive the zombies out of your restaurant. You expect to get a good tip for that.
Villains Win: The zombies have defeated you. Luckily, they don't do you or your customers any harm, but they do take ownership of the restaurant and change the menu. The restaurant now specializes in brain food.
Draw: The struggle is a stalemate so you agree to compromise. The zombies will not eat anyone's brains as long as you promise to stop oversalting your soup.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem your challenge the monarch has no downside like going to the dungeon, being banished from the realm and rescued later if someone else gets banished, or something worse like the academic rack or virtual guillotine.

Something that might help spur some ideas is to use ChatGPT to generate scenarios. I know of some folks who use it that way for the Burrows and Badgers game.

You would structure your query by describing the game and providing an example and ask Chatgpt to generate a few more examples of that type. You can then ask it to tweak some to be more what you want.

I took your post and gave it the ChatGPT 4o and got the following responses:

Here are some additional funny setups and outcomes for each adventure type in your game “Royal Questions”:

QUEST

Setup:
You find yourself in the royal library, and the librarian, Sir Bookworm, offers to share a rare manuscript if you answer a question correctly.

Correct: Sir Bookworm gives you the manuscript, which turns out to be a collection of the king’s poorly written poetry. You politely pretend to be impressed.

Incorrect: Sir Bookworm shakes his head and hands you a pamphlet titled “How to Read for Dummies.”

GROUP QUEST

Setup:
The kingdom’s river has been mysteriously drying up. You, along with your friends Sam and Alex, set out to find the cause. Answer a question to solve the mystery.

Correct: You discover that a family of beavers has built an enormous dam. You convince them to relocate to the royal lake, where they become a tourist attraction.

Incorrect: It turns out a dragon has been drinking all the water. You and your friends are now tasked with finding the dragon’s dentist because the dragon has a terrible toothache.

CHALLENGE THE MONARCH

Setup:
The kingdom’s annual pie-eating contest is rigged in favor of King Harold. A mysterious stranger offers you a chance to dethrone him by answering a question.

Correct: You dethrone King Harold and win the pie-eating contest. Your prize? A lifetime supply of pies, which you soon realize was a clever way to avoid storing all those pies.

Incorrect: King Harold retains his throne and, as punishment for your rebellion, sentences you to be the royal pie tester for the rest of the year.

CALL FOR AID

Setup:
You are trapped in a tower with a sleeping dragon guarding the exit. Your friend, the local jester named Timmy, is also trapped but in another tower. Both must answer a question correctly to escape.

Correct: Timmy juggles his way out, and you solve the riddle to escape. You both celebrate by throwing a juggling and riddle-solving party for the villagers.

Incorrect: Timmy tries to tell a joke to the dragon, who wakes up and isn’t amused. You both end up working as the dragon’s personal jesters to avoid being roasted.

JOUST

Setup:
At the kingdom’s grand tournament, you challenge Sir Borington, known for his dull speeches, to a joust to prove who is the true crowd favorite.

Hero Wins: You win the joust, and Sir Borington is so impressed that he asks you to help him write more interesting speeches. Together, you become the kingdom’s most popular duo.

Villain Wins: Sir Borington wins and uses his newfound popularity to introduce a law mandating that everyone must listen to his speeches every morning.

Draw: You both decide to collaborate on a comedy act, combining your wit and Sir Borington’s monotone delivery, creating a unique and surprisingly popular show.

GROUP JOUST

Setup:
You and your friends are enjoying a feast when the Evil Trio, known for their terrible cooking, challenge you to a cooking duel. The fate of the kingdom’s cuisine rests on your shoulders.

Heroes Win: You and your friends create a dish so delicious that the Evil Trio retires and opens a culinary school to improve their skills.

Villains Win: The Evil Trio wins, and the kingdom is forced to endure their awful cooking. You and your friends are tasked with taste-testing all their new recipes.

Draw: Both teams’ dishes are equally impressive. The king declares it a tie and orders the creation of a new restaurant where both teams’ dishes are served, leading to a culinary rivalry that delights the kingdom.

Thanks for your response. As far as challenging the monarch not having a downside, I have not divulged all the rules for the game as they are not necessary for this thread. With regards to ChatGPT, I use it daily for many tasks and have used it to brainstorm some of these. However, it's just not that funny. I'm hoping Grok will be better but that's not released to the public yet. For the time-being, humor is still something that we're better at, hence this thread.

I'm a little confused by correct versus incorrect. What is the student offered to help them navigate to the correct answer? Or is that part of the rules that we don't know?

If it's just a matter of making up scenarios might I suggest there are some scenario generators out there that can be used to provide inspiration.

The teacher asks a question and the student either gets it correct or incorrect. It's not just a matter of making up scenarios. ChatGPT is good for that. It's the punch lines that are hard.

SamRoss said:
The teacher asks a question and the student either gets it correct or incorrect.
Sorry, I don't see how that and this are compatible:

Setup: The kingdom’s river has been mysteriously drying up. You, along with your friends Sam and Alex, set out to find the cause. Answer a question to solve the mystery.

Correct: You discover that a family of beavers has built an enormous dam. You convince them to relocate to the royal lake, where they become a tourist attraction.

Incorrect: It turns out a dragon has been drinking all the water. You and your friends are now tasked with finding the dragon’s dentist because the dragon has a terrible toothache.
Clearly, I do not understand the assignment, so I won't be much use with scenarios. Stepping back.

As far as I understand, the question could be "what's the integral of sin(x)?" The story is just a choose your own adventure, but where the choice is determined by whether you get the question correct. The story and question don't bear any relation to each other.