Need Help - Learning to use a telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Shilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: Otherwise, if you're using the eyepiece that has the number on it (4 or 20), you may need to switch to the lower magnification eyepiece to see anything. For example, if you have the 4mm eyepiece, you would need to switch to the 20mm eyepiece to see more. If you're not getting any light coming through the eyepiece, it may be that you're not pointing the telescope at something. Try looking at a nearby object and see if you can see it. If not, you may need to adjust the telescope's alignment. If you're still having difficulty, you may want to consult a professional astronomer. Have fun!
Shilly
2 or 3 years ago we bought my father a telescope for his brithday, and ever since it has been a piece of 'art' in my house. I thought i'd put it to use, i have an interest in astronomy and now i really want to learn how to use this.

the telescope is a Bushnell 675x5" Reflector Telescope, link below for more details.

http://www.telescopes-binoculars-night-vision.com/contents/products/bush-ts-785003.html

I've fiddled with it a few tiems and have brought it out to try it out and i am really having trouble. I set in either the 4mm or 20mm eye piece, and i see nothing but pitch black through them after searching for a few minutes. I try over and over again and see nothing but pitch black. (no, i didn't leave a cap on). I'd think that with a telescope, it should not be very hard to find some viewable light?

so, any suggestions?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF...

To see some visible light, you need to point it at something! What are you pointing it at and how do you know you have it in the field of view of the telescope? Hint: take the scope out during the day and point it at a distant object, focus it, and align the finderscope.

Next, the larger the number on the eyepiece, the lower the magnification. Lower=brighter and larger field of view (easier to find things).

Next, since the moon isn't up right now, the first object you should look at is Jupiter. It is by far the brightest object in the southwestern sky right after sunset (you can't miss it). Once you get it in focus with your 20mm eyepiece, you'll see up to 4 moons in a row and horizontal stripes. Then try the 4mm...

Btw, that's a pretty good starter scope, but because it is an equatorial mount, it takes a little effort to set up correctly, though once you do, it is a good novice mount. You'll want to read the manual.

If you are looking at stars and the focus is waaayy off you may not see anything at all. Viewing a distant street lamp will get you close enough with the focus to see something... If you use it during the day as Russ suggests, leave the focus at the same position when you start at night.

Welcome to PF!

Shilly said:
2 or 3 years ago we bought my father a telescope for his brithday, and ever since it has been a piece of 'art' in my house. I thought i'd put it to use, i have an interest in astronomy and now i really want to learn how to use this.

the telescope is a Bushnell 675x5" Reflector Telescope, link below for more details.

I've fiddled with it a few tiems and have brought it out to try it out and i am really having trouble. I set in either the 4mm or 20mm eye piece, and i see nothing but pitch black through them after searching for a few minutes. I try over and over again and see nothing but pitch black. (no, i didn't leave a cap on). I'd think that with a telescope, it should not be very hard to find some viewable light?

so, any suggestions?

Hi Shilly! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It may have got damaged, or out of alignment, in storage.

hmm … :rolleyes:

first, look through the open end of the telescope … can you see your own reflection, with the secondary mirror in the way?

then shine a torch into the eye piece, while still looking through the open end … can you see where the light is going? it should bounce off the secondary and then the primary and come straight at you without hitting the side of the tube

… can't think of anything else :smile:

I am with Chemisttree on this one, street lamps are great as a starting point.

Or at least that's what I did on many occasions :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
...then shine a torch ...
If you're an American, torch means flashlight. Just want to make sure the OP is not getting out a plumbers's torch, or other flame-producing device :)

oops!

tony873004 said:
If you're an American, torch means flashlight. Just want to make sure the OP is not getting out a plumbers's torch, or other flame-producing device :)

oops! :redface:

I must mind my flaming language! :rolleyes:

Perhaps the mirror is out of alignment and is not pointing down the centerline of the tube?

Related to Need Help - Learning to use a telescope

1. How do I set up my telescope?

To set up your telescope, start by assembling all the parts according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then, make sure the telescope is on a stable and flat surface. Use a level to ensure it is properly aligned. Next, insert the eyepiece and adjust the focus. Finally, align your telescope with a bright star or planet to calibrate it.

2. How do I choose the right eyepiece?

The right eyepiece depends on what you want to observe. A higher magnification eyepiece will make distant objects appear closer, while a lower magnification eyepiece will provide a wider field of view. It is also important to consider the focal length of your telescope when choosing an eyepiece. Experiment with different eyepieces to find the best one for your needs.

3. How do I find objects in the night sky with my telescope?

The easiest way to find objects in the night sky is by using a star chart or a planetarium app. These resources will help you locate the object in the sky and give you an idea of what it should look like through your telescope. Once you have a general idea of where the object is located, use your telescope's finder scope to zero in and make adjustments as needed.

4. How do I take care of my telescope?

To take care of your telescope, always cover it when not in use to protect it from dust and debris. Avoid touching the lenses or mirrors with your fingers, as this can leave smudges and affect the image quality. Also, make sure to store your telescope in a dry and cool place to prevent any damage from moisture.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a telescope?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a telescope include not properly aligning the telescope, using the wrong eyepiece for the desired magnification, and not adjusting the focus correctly. It is also important to avoid using the telescope in areas with high levels of light pollution, as this can affect the quality of your observations. Lastly, always read the instructions and familiarize yourself with your telescope before using it to avoid any mishaps.