Need help on an object acceleration homework problem

In summary, the object, a pen, has a velocity of 1.2 meters per second at 1 second after being thrown from a window twelve feet high.
Physicshw

Homework Statement

Someone throws an object upwards at 5 m/s from a window twelve feet high.

A) what is the velocity of the pen at 1 second after it was thrown?

Homework Equations

D = vi * t + (at^2)/2
Vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting 4.8, but the answer is 1.2m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Might want to edit your post and delete the unnecessary copies of the template :P

Anyway, when you throw something upwards at a given speed, it means its speed will decrease by g m/s every passing second.

If the window is 12 feet high - what is that in metres - 3.66 metres or so.
So the height relative to where you were throwing it is not 12 metres, but 12-3.66.
But there is a problem with the assignment - the ball at this small initial velocity cannot reach 8.34m height from the window if thrown up vertically. And it pretty much is showing in the numbers, your speed will decrease 9.8m/s every second, your initial speed is only 5 m/s, it means after 1 second it's already falling back down.

I calculated the minimum speed at which you will have to throw the ball and it is ~12,785m/s for it to even reach 8.34 height from the window.

Am I reading the assignment wrong? It is asking for the object's speed at 12 metres height from the ground with a given initial speed isn't it?

Last edited:
I, too, get 4.8m/s (which way?) based on the information you've given. I note that your first sentence says "object" and your second says "pen" - is that just a typo, or is it possible that you are getting information about different objects mixed up?

Oops, meant to say 12 meters.

And sorry for the template copies, I think it may be a glitch with the forum. I think it happened because I tried submitting the thread several times before I realized one of my tags was invalid.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, sorry about the typos, I'm in kind of a rush.

So, would -4.8m/s be correct? Maybe I wrote down the wrong answer...

I am getting -4.999 m/s considering the 12 metre height to be ground 0 so
5t - gt²/2 = 0 and v = v0 - gt
Probably rounding difference, but yeah, it cannot be 1.2m/s

Alright, thanks. that was driving me crazy for awhile.

FAQ: Need help on an object acceleration homework problem

1. How do I calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time. The formula for acceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the speed and direction of motion. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object is changing its velocity, while velocity measures how fast it is traveling and in what direction.

3. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that for every second an object is accelerating, its velocity increases by 1 meter per second.

4. What is the role of acceleration in Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.

5. Can you provide an example of an object accelerating?

An example of an object accelerating is a car starting from a complete stop and gradually increasing its speed. In this case, the car is accelerating because its velocity is increasing over time due to the force of the engine.