Need help on conversion factors (physics)

Welcome to PF.In summary, a student new to physics is struggling with conversion factors and needs help with their homework problems. They are unsure of how to convert units for a given rate of hair growth and for finding the area of a rectangular building lot. They also have questions about the significance of converting units in these situations. A member of the forum offers advice and suggests looking at examples in the textbook.
GoBlue03
Hello, new to this place. Started physics the other day in high school and already have homework. Not really good with conversion factors, so would like some help with a few of the problems i had 4 homework.

1.) Suppose your hair grows at the rate of 1/30 inch per day. Find the rate at which it grows. Because the distance between atoms in a molecule is on the order of 0.1 nm, your answer suggests how rapidly atoms are assembled in this protein synthesis.

I was thinking on changing inches to nanometers or whaterver NM means. Dont really know what 2 do after that.

2.)A rectangular building lot is 1.20*10^3 ft by 1.60*10^2 ft. Determine the area of this lot. Answer says its in m^2.

This is what i did so far. First one came out to 1200ft, and the other number comes out to 160ft. I know i multiply them to get the area, but how do i convert the answer to meters squared.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

GoBlue03 said:
Hello, new to this place. Started physics the other day in high school and already have homework. Not really good with conversion factors, so would like some help with a few of the problems i had 4 homework.

1.) Suppose your hair grows at the rate of 1/30 inch per day. Find the rate at which it grows.
Hmm, well that is a weird thing to ask since we are told the rate to begin with: it's 1/30 inches per day! Are you quoting the question exactly? Is there reason to think they expect a conversion to metric units?

Because the distance between atoms in a molecule is on the order of 0.1 nm, your answer suggests how rapidly atoms are assembled in this protein synthesis.

I was thinking on changing inches to nanometers or whaterver NM means. Dont really know what 2 do after that.
Yes, nm means nanometers. You could certainly do that, though I don't see what, in the question, says you must.

2.)A rectangular building lot is 1.20*10^3 ft by 1.60*10^2 ft. Determine the area of this lot. Answer says its in m^2.

This is what i did so far. First one came out to 1200ft, and the other number comes out to 160ft. I know i multiply them to get the area, but how do i convert the answer to meters squared.
It's probably easiest, conceptually, to convert each foot value into meters first. Then you can get the area in m2. It's also likely that your textbook has an example of an area or volume conversion problem, which may be useful to look at.

Hope that helps.

Related to Need help on conversion factors (physics)

What are conversion factors and why are they important in physics?

Conversion factors are numerical values used to convert between different units of measurement. In physics, it is crucial to use the correct units for calculations and to be able to convert between units to solve problems accurately.

How do I identify the conversion factor to use?

The conversion factor to use depends on the units you are converting from and to. To find the conversion factor, you can use dimensional analysis, which involves setting up fractions with the given units and the desired units, and then multiplying or dividing them to cancel out unwanted units and arrive at the desired unit.

Can I use any conversion factor I find on the internet?

No, it is important to use reliable and accurate conversion factors. It is best to use conversion factors from reputable sources, such as textbooks or scientific databases, to ensure the validity and accuracy of your calculations.

How do I convert between metric and imperial units?

To convert between metric and imperial units, you can use conversion factors that relate the two systems of measurement. For example, to convert meters to feet, you can use the conversion factor 1 meter = 3.28 feet.

What are some common conversion factors in physics?

Some common conversion factors in physics include those for length (ex: meters to centimeters), mass (ex: kilograms to grams), time (ex: seconds to minutes), and energy (ex: joules to calories). It is important to familiarize yourself with these common conversion factors to make calculations easier and more efficient.