Need help on finding the work done on an Object by the applied force.

In summary, the 50 kg crate is being dragged across a floor by a force of 225 N at an angle of 40° from the horizontal. The crate is dragged a distance of 5.0 m and the frictional force is 60 N.
xuhhad
"A 50 kg crate is being dragged across a floor by a force of 225 N at an angle of 40° from the horizontal. The crate is dragged a distance of 5.0 m and the frictional force is 60 N."

Now from that information i am supposed to find the work done by the applied force on the object.

This is what i have so far. Since W= (F cos θ)Δd, i did W= (225 N cos 40°)5.0 m ≈ 862 N.m
Am i correct

PS this is my first time on physics forum. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi xuhhad! welcome to pf! :smile:
xuhhad said:
"A 50 kg crate is being dragged across a floor by a force of 225 N at an angle of 40° from the horizontal. The crate is dragged a distance of 5.0 m and the frictional force is 60 N."

Now from that information i am supposed to find the work done by the applied force on the object.

This is what i have so far. Since W= (F cos θ)Δd, i did W= (225 N cos 40°)5.0 m ≈ 862 N.m
Am i correct

yes :smile:

(what is worrying you about that?)

yep - hi xuhhad! welcome to PF!
It can be a bit daunting at first - especially when an answer seems to come too easily. As you learn more you'll be able to develop strategies to figure out if you are right or not without having to ask anyone.

I suppose it next asks for the work done by the frictional force?

Yes it does :/

and again i am stuck sorry for the inconvenience. I really need help.

Last edited:
Funny that :) You have to think it through - what is the definition of work in terms of force? Can you write it in words?

hi xuhhad! :smile:

you seem to have a lack of confidence

but your original answer, using the correct definition of work done, was fine, so just do the friction in exactly the same way, and then that'll be fine too! :biggrin:

what do you get? :smile:

Simon Bridge said:
Funny that :) You have to think it through - what is the definition of work in terms of force? Can you write it in words?

hmm the work formula would be W=mg/Δd

Get used to putting the formulas into words and thinking about what they mean.

Your formula has work equal to the vertical force divided by the displacement ... which would mean that the further you drag the crate, the less energy is taken by friction ... does that sound right?

Aren't you also lifting the crate a bit as you pull it? Does that matter?

(Since you have not been given dimensions for the crate, I expect that you are to treat all forces through the center of mass?)

xuhhad said:
hmm the work formula would be W=mg/Δd

no, work done = force "dot" displacement

(so it can be positive or negative)

learn this definition! :smile:

i still don't understand how i can find the frictional force.

xuhhad said:
i still don't understand how i can find the frictional force.

?? :confused:

the frictional force is given in the question …

it's 60 N horizontally, "backwards"​

OHHHH
i get it i just have to use the work formula again, something like this correct

W=(-Ff)cos θ * Δd

Thak u for all the help :approve:

xuhhad said:
Yes it does :/

and again i am stuck sorry for the inconvenience. I really need help.

F_kinetic = μ_k F_normal

Does that help?

xuhhad said:
Am i correct

Yes...

This part of your question sounds like:

The problem
A=1, B=2, AB

Relevant equations
AB=AB

Solution
AB=(1)(2)=2
Am I correct?

P.S. I'm not hijacking this thread. I obviously know what 1 multiplied by 2 is. I'm just saying that the problem I wrote is very similar to the problem given by the OP.

dimension10 said:
F_kinetic = μ_k F_normal

Does that help?

Yes thank u for posting i already completed the question thank u for the help though

xuhhad said:
Yes thank u for posting i already completed the question thank u for the help though

Oh..

if the is a force acting opposite to the direction of motion of the crate ( frictional force= 60N) this implies that the total force pulling the crate is now; 225N - 60N =165N.
the reaction force to the floor will be= 50cos40=38.30N
Therefore, total pulling force= 165N - 38.30N= 126.7N.
Now Work done= 126.7 x 5 = 633.5J

Last edited:
Pls i hope you have seen where your errors are coming from. You forgot about the reaction force onthe crate and also the frictional force opposing the force causing the motion of the crate. Thanks

Related to Need help on finding the work done on an Object by the applied force.

What is work?

Work is defined as the amount of energy transferred to or from an object by a force when the object is moved a certain distance in the direction of the force.

How is work calculated?

The work done on an object can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to the object by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is the joule (J), which is equivalent to a newton-meter (N*m) in the SI system of units.

Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force and the direction of the displacement are opposite, resulting in the object losing energy.

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power measures how quickly work is done, while work measures the total amount of energy transferred.