Need help on this simple quenstion(electric fields)

• Thread starter djghs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field strength at a point on a charged homogeneous line. The length of the line is 2L and the charge is Q. The first step is to imagine a point charge on the rod and then integrate the electric field strength over the length of the wire. The person asking for help does not know much about fields and is grateful for the assistance. The other person provides the necessary steps and the conversation ends with the person asking for the answer.
djghs

Homework Statement

11.JPG

asking electrick field due to this charged (homegenous) line.length of line is 2L.charge is Q.

i really don't know about fields, so if someone help me i will be glad.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, so you need to find the electric field strength at that point. What is the first step? The first step is to imagine a point charge on the rod. The electric field strength generated from this charge at that point, take this and integrate it over the length of the wire.

ok i understand. thank you for help.

no problem, what was the answer by the way

FAQ: Need help on this simple quenstion(electric fields)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by an electric charge and can either attract or repel other charges.

2. How is an electric field measured?

Electric fields are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). To measure an electric field, a device called a voltmeter is used to measure the voltage difference between two points in the field.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the distance from the source charge, the magnitude of the source charge, and the medium in which the electric field exists. The electric field decreases with distance and increases with the magnitude of the charge.

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The direction of the electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have numerous real-life applications, such as in powering electronic devices, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in the production of lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes.

Back