Need help picking out an oscilloscope

In summary, the LeCroy WaveAce 204 is a good scope for electrochemistry that is affordable and has good serviceability.
Topher925
I need to pick out an oscilloscope for our lab but I'm not sure what to get. The scope will be primarily used for electrochemistry purposes, so low input noise and higher resolution (12 instead of 8-bit?) is preferred over all else. It will also be used for some basic analog circuit design as well. Budget is about $1500, must have USB, and only require two channels. Any suggestions?

While some scopes do provide over-sampling and standard 12-bit resolution, I see that not many provide input noise in their datasheets. We currently use an old Tek TDS 210, known for its large amount of input noise. About more than double that of my Agilent DSO3102A that I've got at home. Is there a difference in noise between the Chinese scopes like Instek or Rigol, compared to the more reputable manufacturers like Agilent and Tek?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have an Instek I bought new 8 or 9 years ago. I bought it to replace a much older Lecroy. I would describe the Instek as "adequate" and the older Lecroy as "spectacular" (though, sadly, dead). But, I couldn't/can't justify $8k for a new scope. I would consider memory depth more important than resolution.

Depending on what bandwidth you require, you might consider a "PC based DSO" like the "Bitscope" or "Picoscope". If you really want higher resolution, then look @ http://www.picotech.com/differential-oscilloscopes.html they offer PC based scopes up to 16 bit resolution.

Fish

Resolution relates to how many bits.

Accuracy relates to how many of the bits are good - that is, containing
the signal you want to measure vs. noise.

Industry’s First 12-bit High-Resolution Oscilloscopes (HRO TM ) ...
http://www.lecroy.com/files/PressReleases/02012011E.pdf -

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish4Fun said:
Depending on what bandwidth you require, you might consider a "PC based DSO" like the "Bitscope" or "Picoscope". If you really want higher resolution, then look @ http://www.picotech.com/differential-oscilloscopes.html they offer PC based scopes up to 16 bit resolution.

None of the Pico scopes under $4k offer the sampling rate I need. I'm not a real big fan of PC based scopes either and would rather have a bench top unit.

Industry’s First 12-bit High-Resolution Oscilloscopes (HRO TM ) ...

Its strange that they say this because its not the industries first 12-bit scope. Any idea where I can find prices on these?

From the above link:
The new flagship WaveRunner features 4 GHz bandwidth and 40GS/s per channel sample rates with an innovative new industrial design, comprehensive serial-data and probing solutions for less than $30,000 USD.

Lecroy DSOs are fabulous, but generally expensive. You can get a quote from their web site.

I prefer "stand alone" equipment as well, but > 8 bit and <$2k limits your options considerably.

Fish

I recently bought a DSO of my own, a LeCroy WaveAce 204 from Tequipment:
http://www.tequipment.net/clearance.html

They were on clearance (50% off) AND I plugged in a coupon that they had around boxing day. Grand total for me, $1250 + shipping + customs (I'm in Canada).

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind when purchasing equipment is the cost of accessories, and how well the equipment will be serviced if there is a problem. A seller may lower the cost of the scope, knowing that you will need service or accessories later.

FAQ: Need help picking out an oscilloscope

What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument that is used to measure and display electrical signals. It is commonly used in electronic and engineering fields for troubleshooting, testing, and design purposes.

What factors should I consider when choosing an oscilloscope?

When picking out an oscilloscope, you should consider factors such as bandwidth, sample rate, number of channels, display resolution, and probe compatibility. These factors will determine the capabilities and accuracy of the oscilloscope for your specific needs.

What is the difference between analog and digital oscilloscopes?

Analog oscilloscopes use cathode ray tubes (CRTs) to display waveforms, while digital oscilloscopes use digital signal processing (DSP) to display waveforms. Digital oscilloscopes offer more advanced features and flexibility, while analog oscilloscopes are generally more affordable.

Do I need a specific type of oscilloscope for my application?

Yes, it is important to choose an oscilloscope that is suitable for your specific application. For example, if you are working with high-frequency signals, you will need an oscilloscope with a high bandwidth and sample rate. If you are working with multiple signals, you will need an oscilloscope with multiple channels.

Can I use an oscilloscope if I am not an expert in electronics?

Yes, oscilloscopes can be used by both experts and beginners. However, if you are new to using oscilloscopes, it is recommended to start with a basic model and familiarize yourself with the instrument before moving on to more advanced features.

Back