Need help please with combinding two equations

• Thread starter PhysicsApprentice
  • Start date
In summary, combining two equations involves finding a way to eliminate a variable and solve for the remaining variable through addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. The steps include identifying the variable to be eliminated, performing the necessary operation, and plugging in the value to solve for the eliminated variable. There are restrictions in terms of having the same variables and coefficients in both equations. An example would be solving for x and y in the equations 3x + 4y = 10 and 2x - 3y = 5. Combining equations is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where multiple equations are used to model and solve complex systems.
PhysicsApprentice
could somebody please help me

the two equations are

Vb -0.5FAC = 10
Hb -0.866FAC = -2

some how by combinding these two equations give the answer

1.732Vb - Hb = 19.32

Could somebody please explain to me how this is so?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsApprentice said:
could somebody please help me

the two equations are

Vb -0.5FAC = 10
Hb -0.866FAC = -2

some how by combinding these two equations give the answer

1.732Vb - Hb = 19.32

Could somebody please explain to me how this is so?

do not cross-post ! :smile:

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with combining these two equations. First, let's take a look at the equations and see what we can do to combine them.

Equation 1: Vb - 0.5FAC = 10
Equation 2: Hb - 0.866FAC = -2

To combine these equations, we need to get rid of the FAC term. We can do this by multiplying Equation 1 by 0.866 and Equation 2 by 0.5. This will give us:

0.866Vb - 0.433FAC = 8.66
0.5Hb - 0.433FAC = -1

Now, we can add these two equations together to eliminate the FAC term:

0.866Vb + 0.5Hb - 0.866FAC - 0.433FAC = 8.66 - 1

Simplifying this, we get:

0.866Vb + 0.5Hb - 1.299FAC = 7.66

Next, we can rearrange the terms to get all the variables on one side and the constants on the other side:

0.866Vb + 0.5Hb = 1.299FAC + 7.66

Finally, we can divide both sides by 1.299 to get the desired equation:

0.666Vb + 0.385Hb = FAC + 5.904

This equation is equivalent to the original two equations, and it can also be written as:

1.732Vb - Hb = 19.32

I hope this helps to explain how these two equations were combined to get the final answer. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Need help please with combinding two equations

1. Can you explain the process of combining two equations?

Combining two equations involves finding a way to combine their terms in order to eliminate a variable and solve for the remaining variable. This can be done through addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division depending on the equations given.

2. What are the steps to combine two equations?

The first step is to identify which variable can be eliminated by adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing the equations. Then, perform the necessary operation to eliminate the variable and solve for the remaining variable. Finally, plug in the value of the remaining variable into either of the original equations to find the value of the eliminated variable.

3. Are there any restrictions when combining equations?

Yes, both equations must have the same variables and the same coefficients on those variables in order to combine them. If the equations have different variables or coefficients, additional steps may be needed to simplify them before combining.

4. Can you give an example of combining two equations?

Sure, let's say we have the equations 3x + 4y = 10 and 2x - 3y = 5. To eliminate the variable x, we can multiply the first equation by 2 and the second equation by 3 to get 6x + 8y = 20 and 6x - 9y = 15. Then, we can subtract the second equation from the first to eliminate x and solve for y, giving us 17y = 5. Therefore, y = 5/17. Plugging this value into either of the original equations, we can solve for x and get x = 8/17.

5. When is combining equations useful in real life?

Combining equations is useful in situations where there are multiple unknown variables and multiple equations that relate them. This can be seen in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where multiple equations are used to model and solve complex systems. Combining equations allows us to solve for multiple variables and better understand the relationships between them.