Need help setting up triple integral in spherical coordinates

In summary, the problem requires using spherical coordinates to find the volume of a solid bounded by a sphere with radius 4 and a cone with a vertex at the origin and a central angle of pi/4. The triple integral setup is 0<=rho<=4, 0<=theta<=2pi, and 0<phi<=pi/4. The boundaries are determined by the limits of integration and the dV term does not need any additional components.
Outlaw747

Homework Statement

Use spherical coordinates to find the volume of the solid bounded above by the sphere with radius 4 and below by the cone z=(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2).

Homework Equations

All general spherical conversions
Cone should be [tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\pi[/tex]/4

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I think the triple integral setup is
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]4
0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]
0<[tex]\phi[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]/4

My question is, for dV, do I need anything more than ([tex]\rho[/tex]^2)sin[tex]\phi[/tex]d[tex]\rho[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\phi[/tex]? Or do I need to figure out the intersection and volume that describes the area bounded above by the sphere and below the cone? Or do I already have that with my limits and standard dV question? (if I am correct so far). Any help would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The boundaries are given by the limits to the integration. How did you arrive at the limits? No, they are not wrong, if the center of the sphere is at the point where all the cartesian coordinates are zero.

Yup. Sphere is x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16. So with the limits for the three variables and dV converted I am good to integrate?

Related to Need help setting up triple integral in spherical coordinates

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe three-dimensional points in space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle of inclination, and an angle of rotation.

2. How do I set up a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in spherical coordinates, you must first determine the limits of integration for each variable. The radial distance will typically range from 0 to the radius of the sphere, the inclination angle will range from 0 to π, and the rotation angle will range from 0 to 2π. Then, the integral will be written as ∫∫∫ f(r, θ, φ) r^2 sin(θ) dr dθ dφ.

3. What is the purpose of using spherical coordinates in triple integrals?

Spherical coordinates are often used in triple integrals because they are particularly useful for integrating over spherical or symmetrical regions. They also simplify calculations for problems involving spheres, cones, and other curved surfaces.

4. How can I convert a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use the following equations: x = r sin(θ) cos(φ), y = r sin(θ) sin(φ), z = r cos(θ). These equations will allow you to express the function f(x, y, z) in terms of the new variables r, θ, and φ.

5. What are some common mistakes when setting up a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

Some common mistakes when setting up a triple integral in spherical coordinates include incorrectly determining the limits of integration, forgetting to include the extra factor of r^2 sin(θ), and mixing up the order of integration. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all variables and limits are correct before solving the integral.

Back