Need help / tips (Topic is FORCE)

• Thread starter Tastosis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a bullet penetrating a block of wood. The homework question asks for the time it takes the bullet to stop and the force exerted by the wood on the bullet. The conversation also includes a second problem about a parachutist with a total upward force of 620 N. Tips for solving the problem are provided, including finding the acceleration and using a free body diagram if necessary.
Tastosis
We just got into this topic and my teacher gave me an "introductory assignment"

Homework Statement

1.) A 0.22 rifle bullet, traveling at 350 m/s, strikes a block of soft wood, which it penetrates to a depth of 0.130 m. The block of wood is clamped in place and doesn't move. The mass of the bullet is 1.80 g. Assume a constant retarding force. A.) How much time is required for the bullet to stop? B.) What force, in Newton's, does the wood exert on the bullet?

Homework Equations

(I'm not sure)
V = Vo + at
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a (X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

As of now, I have no clue because this is new to me. Help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the average speed of the bullet during its travel through the block?

350 / 2? Which is 175 m/s?

Tastosis said:
350 / 2? Which is 175 m/s?
Exactly! Use that to solve for the time.

Do I use this formula: time = distance / velocity ?

If so, how do I get the distance? Is it the 0.130 m?

So using the above formula, I got 0.000743 seconds. Can someone clarify this?

Also, any tips on how to get B?

Tastosis said:
So using the above formula, I got 0.000743 seconds. Can someone clarify this?
Looks good.

Also, any tips on how to get B?
Start by finding the acceleration.

Acceleration is 471063.26 m/s^2 ?

I used 350 m/s / 0.000743 seconds

If that's correct, the force would be... 847.91 N ? (I converted 1.8 g to kilograms)

Looks good to me.

OK. Thanks. I'll clarify the answer I got to my teacher tomorrow.

I have a second problem. >.<
A parachutist relies on air resistance (mainly on her parachute) to decrease her downward velocity. She and her parachute have a mass of 55.0 kg and air resistance exerts a total upward force of 620 N on her and her parachute.
A.) What is the weight of the parachutist? B.) What is the net force? Is it upward or downward? C.) What is the acceleration (magnitude and direction) of the parachutist?

I need help / tips on how to go about this problem. I even don't know what the Free Body Diagram looks like >.<

Welcome to PF!

Hi Tastosis! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(it's usually best to start a new thread for each question :wink:)

you don't really need a free body diagram for this problem (unless it's part of the question, of course) …

they're useful for 2D and 3D problems, but they don't really help for a 1D problem like this :wink:

just add all the forces (being careful about whether each force is positive or negative), and then use F = ma …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Need help / tips (Topic is FORCE)

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can be defined as a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include frictional force, tension force, and normal force.

3. How is force measured?

The unit of measurement for force is Newton (N). It can be measured using a device called a force meter or spring scale, which calculates the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring.

4. How does force affect motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. How can I apply force in everyday life?

Force is involved in almost every aspect of our lives, from walking and lifting objects to driving a car. Some common examples of how force is applied in everyday life include pushing a door open, throwing a ball, and using a hammer to drive a nail into a wall.

Back