Need help understanding an equation for statics problem

• Thread starter dlacombe13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the block resting on the inclined plane with a mass of 40kg will be in equilibrium when the tension force P falls within a range between Pmin and Pmax. Pmin and Pmax are determined by solving the equilibrium equations for the whole system, with Pmax being the maximum force that can be applied without overcoming friction and Pmin being the minimum force needed to prevent the block from sliding downwards. The sign of Fmax changes depending on which way friction acts (up or down the slope) and for force P within this range, the block will remain still or in equilibrium.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

The block resting on the inclined plane shown has a mass of 40kg. Determine the maximum and minimum value for P for which the block is in equilibrium. (fs = 0.35 and θ=25°)

prob_zpsdfvoxeiq.png

Homework Equations

ΣFx = 0
ΣFy=0
Fmax=(fs)(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

wx = (392.4)(sin(25)) = 165.84
wy= (392.4)(cos(25)) = 355.64
Fmax= (0.35)(355.64) = 124.47

-Pmax + Fmax + wx = 0
Pmax = 290.31 N

-Pmin - Fmax + wx = 0
Pmin = 41.37 N

Okay so the problem isn't that I couldn't solve it: I followed my notes by my professor and got the answers right. My problem is my understanding of the concept behind some points in the equations. My questions are:

1) What exactly are Pmin and Pmax?
2) When solving for Pmin and Pmax, I understand that it is just the equilibrium equation for the whole system (in this case ΣFx because the friction is parallel to the surface) right?
3) If so, why does the Fmax turn to negative when solving for the minimum? I can see why it is positive since it is in the positive direction (right), but why does it turn negative all of a sudden?

Physics news on Phys.org
For large P the block will try to slide up the slope so friction acts down it. For small P the block will try to slide down so friction acts up the slope. This is why the sign of Fmax changes.

In order to be "in equilibrium" the tension P in such a rope would have to fall within a range between Pmin and Pmax depending on which way friction acts (up or down the slope).

Likes dlacombe13
Oh okay I get it now. Basically Pmin to Pmax is a range, where if the force P is below the minimum, it will not be enough force to prevent the block from sliding downwards, And if the force P is above the maximum, the force P will overcome the friction and move the block upwards. And for the force P within this range, the block remain still, or in equilibrium.

Thank you very much for clarifying! (:

FAQ: Need help understanding an equation for statics problem

1. What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of structures and objects under different forces.

2. What is an equation for statics problem?

The most commonly used equation for statics problems is Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).

3. How do I solve a statics problem using an equation?

To solve a statics problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, you can use Newton's second law to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable.

4. How does the direction of a force affect the equation in a statics problem?

The direction of a force is important because it determines the sign of the force in the equation. Forces acting in the same direction will have a positive sign, while forces acting in the opposite direction will have a negative sign.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using equations in statics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not considering all the forces acting on the object, using incorrect signs for forces, and not converting units properly. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given problem and any given constraints.

Back