Need help understanding Electrical Engineer

In summary, all forms of engineering involve a degree of creativity and beauty, but it may be found in different areas. Whether or not you experience this will depend on your personal interests and preferences. It is important to figure out what you truly enjoy in order to choose the right major for you.
mmkay
I need help understanding electrical engineering. I want to know if i go with EE i will experience the same level of creativity and beauty that i would doing mechanical eng. or chemical eng... I like to build stuff - like if its was lego - but i have this idea about EE that the major is only pragmatic and monotonous, maybe cause i don't have that much information or cause its is monotonous and pragmatic..

Physics news on Phys.org
All engineering has a degree of creativity and beauty. You simply find it in different places.

For example, designing a radio with a new modulation scheme that operates very close to the noise floor is wonderful. Designing a new drive system for motors that results in more efficient and longer lasting motors is also an art. Designing an energy distribution grid that works all the way down to the solar panels on a house is also a creative endeavor.

Every major endeavor of engineering has an art to it that is inexplicable to those who do not practice it. The subtle application of something as mundane as the selection of a valve optimized for control of a process is something that only another engineer will appreciate.

The rest of the world will never know... and that's the hidden beauty of engineering.

It will depend entirely on you. Some people just LOVE electrical engineering but would detest being a mechanical engineer, and it true the other way round as well. You need to figure out what YOU like.

FAQ: Need help understanding Electrical Engineer

1. What is the role of an electrical engineer?

An electrical engineer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems and equipment. They are also involved in the production and distribution of electricity, as well as the development of new technologies in the field of electronics and power systems.

2. What skills are needed to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for this profession. Knowledge of programming languages and experience with design software is also beneficial.

3. What industries do electrical engineers work in?

Electrical engineers work in a variety of industries, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, transportation, manufacturing, and research and development. They can also work in government agencies, consulting firms, and educational institutions.

4. What is the difference between an electrical engineer and an electrician?

An electrical engineer is responsible for designing and developing electrical systems and equipment, while an electrician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing these systems. Electrical engineers typically have a higher level of education and are involved in the planning and design stages, while electricians primarily work with hands-on installation and maintenance tasks.

5. What are some common misconceptions about electrical engineers?

Some common misconceptions about electrical engineers include thinking that they only work with wires and circuits, that their job is solely focused on fixing electrical problems, and that they only work in the power industry. In reality, electrical engineers have a wide range of job opportunities and are involved in various fields, from microelectronics to power systems.