Need help understanding part of this assembly code

In summary: This effectively converts the sum to a single digit number.In summary, the program inputs two single-digit numbers, adds them, and converts the result to a single-digit number by keeping only the four least significant bits. Then, it outputs the result.
leo255
CHARI 0xFE,d ; read 1stchar
CHARI 0xFF,d ; read 2ndchar
LDBYTEA 0xFE,d ; load 1stchar
ADDA 0xFE,d ; add 2ndchar to low byte(big endian!)
ANDA 0x0F,i ; keep low 4 bits
ORA 0x30,i ; convert to ascii
STBYTEA 0xFD,d ; store for output
CHARO 0xFD,d ; write result
STOP.END

Hello, I mostly understand this assembly code, but am confused with this line: "ANDA 0x0F,i".

This program inputs two single-digit numbers, adds them and then outputs their single-digit sum. Apparently, we are keeping the low 4 bits. What exactly is meant by this, specifically with what the program is trying to accomplish?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the AND operation, each bit that is zero in the 0x0f is zeroed in the result and each bit that is one in the 0xf is left the same as it was before (or copied if the result register is different than the source register), assuming that ANDA 0xf,i means to AND the accumulator with the immediate value 0x0f and store the result back into the accumulator.

Likes leo255
Suppose the result of the addition is
if you AND that with
you get

The four most significant bits have been suppressed to zero leaving just the four least significant bits from the sum.

FAQ: Need help understanding part of this assembly code

1. What is assembly code?

Assembly code is a low-level programming language that is used to directly communicate with a computer's hardware. It is made up of instructions that are represented by mnemonic codes and operates on a one-to-one basis with machine code.

2. How is assembly code different from other programming languages?

Assembly code is considered a low-level language, meaning it is closer to the machine code that the computer can understand. It is also specific to a particular processor or architecture, making it less portable than high-level languages.

3. How do I read assembly code?

Reading assembly code can be challenging at first, but it typically follows a specific pattern. It starts with the instruction mnemonic, followed by the operands or arguments, and ends with any additional comments or labels. It's essential to understand the specific assembly language being used and the associated processor's instruction set.

4. What does "assembly" mean in assembly code?

The term "assembly" in assembly code refers to the process of converting human-readable mnemonic codes into machine code that the computer can understand and execute. It is called "assembly" because it is the final stage before the code is assembled into an executable program.

5. Can I write programs entirely in assembly code?

Yes, it is possible to write programs entirely in assembly code. However, it is not a common practice as it is time-consuming and requires a deep understanding of the computer's hardware and instruction set. In modern programming, assembly code is typically used for optimizing critical sections of code rather than writing entire programs.