Need help with a circular motion question

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the maximum speed at which a stone can be whirled around on the end of a string of length 20cm without the string breaking. The stone has a mass of 0.2 kg and the string will break when the tension exceeds 6kg.m.s-². The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the question and is asking for assistance. However, members are not allowed to provide help without the poster showing effort by filling out the template and showing relevant equations from their lecture notes or textbooks.
physics1890

Homework Statement

A stone has a mass0.2 kg is whirled around on the end of a string of length 20cm. The string will break when the tension exceeds 6kg.m.s-². calculate the maximum speed at which the stone can be whirled around before the string breaks [/B]

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

how do I go about this question any ideas ?? All help appreciated[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Please fill the rest of the template. You need to show your working.

cnh1995 said:
Welcome to PF!
The trouble is I can't because I don't know how to attempt question

cnh1995 said:
Welcome to PF!
The trouble is I can't because I don't know how to attempt question

FAQ: Need help with a circular motion question

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object travels around a fixed point or axis in a circular path. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as planets orbiting around the sun or a ball spinning on a string.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a constant change in direction, while linear motion involves a constant change in speed. In circular motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path, whereas in linear motion, the velocity remains constant.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force is calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How can I solve a circular motion problem?

To solve a circular motion problem, you can follow these steps:

1. Determine the given information, including the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path.
  2. Identify the unknown quantity that needs to be solved for.
  3. Choose an appropriate equation, such as F = mv²/r, to solve for the unknown quantity.
  4. Substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown quantity.
  5. Check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.