Need help with a differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has derived a differential equation but does not know how to solve it. They are seeking help in finding an analytical solution and mention that they have tried using Mathematica but it was unsuccessful. They also mention the use of the product log function but are unsure how to incorporate the other part of the equation.
Kvad
Hi all,

I have derived a differential equation, which I don't know how to solve. I can do some numerical simulations, but would really be interested in, at least, knowing if an analytical solution exists, so would appreciate any help with it: (I have removed argument from y)

x2-2px+y2-2(y-p)y'y=0

Usually I just solve equations with mathematica, but it cannot tackle this one, though it doesn't look too bad...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The part without explitic x-dependence leads to the product log function (WolframAlpha), I don't see an obvious way to take the other part into account.

Related to Need help with a differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with one or more of its derivatives. It is used to model and describe various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas or techniques for different types of equations.

3. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for modeling and understanding complex systems. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to help predict and analyze behavior.

4. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an explicit formula can be found for the solution. However, many differential equations do not have closed-form solutions and must be solved numerically.

5. Is knowledge of calculus necessary to understand differential equations?

Yes, knowledge of calculus is necessary to understand differential equations. Differential equations involve derivatives, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. Without a strong understanding of calculus, it can be difficult to grasp the concepts and techniques used in solving differential equations.