Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots?

In summary, the person is looking for ideas for their physics project on slingshots. Their current idea is to change the density of the rubber band and measure the potential energy and speed of the stone. However, they are looking for other areas to investigate and have considered changing the angle of launch, initial speed, and volume of the ball. They also discuss using different rubbers with different elasticity and how the angle affects the distance and height traveled. The person plans to try these ideas on Monday.
obi1
Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots!?

Basically I am doing a project on slingshots, we are allowed to investigate any areas do do with physics, however I need some ideas, I was hoping I could change a couple of variables and measure things.

my idea was to change the density of the rubber band used in the sligshot and measure the potential energy, then work out the speed of the stone as it leaves the slingshot using KE=1/2 MV^2

But I feel that's not enough

Please can someone help me to find other PHYSICS area which I could investigate.

Physics news on Phys.org

try changing angle of launch, initial speed, density of air (not possible though), ... but yes you can change volume of ball keeping mass same for the last one

to change the initial speed i would have to pull the rubber band more longer right, but the problems with that is that its no easy to do, the practical has to be up to Alevel standards :(

its necessary to use sling shot?

Do one thing ... get different rubbers of different elasticity ... use an apparatus so that each time rubber is pulled to same distance ... that way initial velocity will change

yh that's what I've been doing today lol, but my teacher said that that's to simple and predictable because it obvious that the more elastic the rubber band and more stretched the further the object will travel.

so show him how angle affects distance and height

(Hint: height is max at 90 and distance traveled at 45 ... ... ...shhhhh)

also show him that any angle θ from vertical or horizontal has same distance traveled but different height (except for 45)

ohh sounds great, will try that out on Monday, thanks for your help! :)

Related to Need help with a physics practical to do with slingshots?

1. What is the purpose of the slingshot in the physics practical?

The purpose of the slingshot in this physics practical is to study the concepts of projectile motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. By using a slingshot, we can launch small objects at different angles and measure their trajectory and distance traveled to better understand these concepts.

2. What materials are needed for this physics practical with slingshots?

The materials needed for this physics practical include a slingshot, small objects to launch (such as marbles or paper clips), a ruler or measuring tape, a protractor, and a flat surface to launch the objects from. Optional materials may include a stopwatch or video camera to record the motion of the objects.

3. How can I ensure accurate and consistent results in this physics practical?

To ensure accurate and consistent results in this physics practical, it is important to carefully measure and record all variables, such as the angle of launch, the distance traveled, and the mass of the launched objects. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times and calculate the average results to minimize any errors or outliers.

4. Can this physics practical be modified for different levels of difficulty?

Yes, this physics practical can be modified for different levels of difficulty by changing the variables. For example, the angle of launch, mass of the objects, or surface conditions can be varied to explore different scenarios and challenge students at different levels of understanding.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in this physics practical to real-world situations?

The concepts learned in this physics practical, such as projectile motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, can be applied to real-world situations such as sports, engineering, and even space travel. Understanding these concepts can help us predict and control the motion of objects in various scenarios, making them essential in many fields and industries.