Need help with adding animation to videos

In summary, the conversation is about creating an introduction video for newcomers in a college majoring in Computer Science. The theme is "Passion (for Computing)" and the speaker is seeking suggestions on how to animate the video to show light and "floating code" in an easy way. They also inquire about using free and open source software, specifically Blender and Cinelerra, for 3D animation and video editing. The speaker expresses their willingness to wait for the students' contributions.
arunbg
I am doing an introduction video for freshers joining my college. This is specially intended to motivate students majoring in Computer Science. This is a diffcult task for me, since I have little experience in video editing and almost no experience in animation.

The theme for the presentation is "Passion (for Computing)".

The opening shot features the running of a program in an ordinary IDE (done by screen capture tools). The camera then shows two students sitting before a laptop, programming avidly.
Now we need to show bright light emitting from the laptop and bits and pieces of code and other things circling the students.

Any suggestions as to how to animate the video to show light and "floating code" in the easiest possible way, are appreciated. Is there a reliable way of superimposing flash on videos? Any specific recommendation for software required and shooting technique will be very welcome.

Computer science news on Phys.org
does this mean that your students will contribute to free and open source software?
IF so (and only if), read this:You can use Blender for doing 3D animation and Cinelerra for video editing. But you will have to do some learning, there's no getting around it. BOTH are avaialble on the Dynebolic Linux live CD.

I'll wait for what your students end up writing :)

As a scientist with experience in video editing and animation, I would suggest using software such as Adobe After Effects or Blender to add animation to your videos. These programs have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials that can help you learn how to create the effects you want. Additionally, they have features such as particle systems that can help you create the floating code and bright light effects you are looking for.

To superimpose flash on videos, you can use software such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro. These programs allow you to layer different elements on top of each other, giving you the ability to add animations to your videos easily.

In terms of shooting technique, I would suggest using a tripod to keep the camera steady and using good lighting to make the animation effects stand out. You can also use green screens to help with compositing the animation onto the video.

Overall, I recommend doing some research and practicing with the software before tackling your project. With some time and effort, you can create a visually appealing and motivational introduction video for your college's Computer Science majors. Good luck!

FAQ: Need help with adding animation to videos

1. How can I add animation to my videos?

To add animation to your videos, you will need to use video editing software or animation software. There are many different options available, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, or Blender. These programs allow you to import your video and add animated elements, such as text, graphics, or special effects.

2. Can I add animation to videos without any prior experience?

While some basic knowledge of video editing or animation software may be helpful, many programs offer user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help beginners add animation to their videos. With some practice and patience, anyone can learn to add animation to their videos.

3. What types of animation can I add to videos?

There are many different types of animation that can be added to videos, including 2D animation, 3D animation, stop-motion animation, and motion graphics. The type of animation you choose will depend on your video's style and the effect you want to achieve.

4. Can I add animation to videos on my phone?

Yes, there are many video editing apps available for smartphones that allow you to add animation to your videos. Some popular options include iMovie, Kinemaster, and Adobe Premiere Rush. These apps often have simplified features compared to desktop software, but they can still produce impressive results.

5. Are there any copyright or licensing issues when adding animation to videos?

It is important to make sure that you have the proper licenses or permissions for any animation assets you use in your videos. This includes graphics, music, and sound effects. Some software programs also have built-in libraries of royalty-free assets that you can use without worrying about copyright issues.