Need help with algebra at the end of fluids/waves problem

• Thread starter K29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{V_{1}}{V_{1}+V_{2}}\cdot\frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}+V_{2}}}=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{V_{1}}{V_{1}+V_{2}}}\cdot \sqrt{\frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}+V_{2}}}=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\
K29
[SOLVED]Need help with algebra at the end of fluids/waves problem

EDIT: Ignore this post. Stupid. Solution was obvious. Unfortunately not obvious soon enough :/

Homework Statement

The fluids problem is not really important.
I have solved the wave problem to get the following dispersion equation:
[itex](\frac{\omega}{k})^{2}-(V_{1}+V_{2})\frac{\omega}{k}+\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}^{2}+V_{2}^2)=0[/itex]

I now need to write it as:

[itex]\frac{\omega}{k}=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm\frac{i}{2}(V_{1}-V_{2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute into the quadratic formula:

[itex]\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

gives:

[itex]\frac{\omega}{k}=\frac{(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \sqrt{(-(V_{1}+V_{2}))^{2}-4(\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}^{2}+V_{2}^{2}))}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{(V_{1}+V_{2})^{2}-2(V_{1}^{2}+V_{2}^{2})}}{2}[/itex]

Any ideas what to do with the terms inside the squareroot? Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!
I am a scientist and I am here to offer my assistance with your algebra problem. I see that you have already made significant progress in solving the problem, but you are stuck on how to simplify the expression inside the square root.

Firstly, I would like to point out that your attempt at using the quadratic formula was a good approach. However, I believe you may have made a mistake in your calculation. The correct solution should be:

\frac{\omega}{k}=\frac{(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \sqrt{(V_{1}+V_{2})^{2}-4(\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}^{2}+V_{2}^{2}))}}{2}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{(V_{1}+V_{2})^{2}-2(V_{1}^{2}+V_{2}^{2})}}{2}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{(V_{1}^{2}+2V_{1}V_{2}+V_{2}^{2})-2V_{1}^{2}-2V_{2}^{2}}}{2}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2V_{1}V_{2}}}{2}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{V_{1}V_{2}}}{2}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sqrt{V_{1}V_{2}}

Now, we can simplify the expression inside the square root by factoring out a common term:

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sqrt{V_{1}V_{2}}

=\frac{1}{2}(V_{1}+V_{2})\pm \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{V_{1}V_{2}}{V_{1}+V_{2}}}

=\

FAQ: Need help with algebra at the end of fluids/waves problem

1. What is the significance of algebra in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics?

Algebra is essential in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics because it allows us to mathematically analyze the behavior of fluids and waves. It helps us understand the relationships between different variables such as pressure, velocity, and density, and how these variables change over time and space.

2. How can I improve my algebra skills for fluid mechanics and wave mechanics problems?

To improve your algebra skills for fluid mechanics and wave mechanics problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra concepts such as equations, variables, and solving for unknowns. Practice using algebra in different types of problems and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.

3. Can I use a calculator for algebraic calculations in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics?

Yes, you can use a calculator for algebraic calculations in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations to ensure accuracy and avoid relying solely on the calculator.

4. How do I know which algebraic equations to use in a fluid mechanics or wave mechanics problem?

To determine which algebraic equations to use in a fluid mechanics or wave mechanics problem, you must first identify the given variables and what you are trying to solve for. Then, refer to your textbook or notes for relevant equations and choose the one that best fits the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using algebra in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using algebra in fluid mechanics and wave mechanics include not properly labeling variables, making errors in algebraic calculations, and not checking the final solution for accuracy. It is also important to understand the physical meaning behind the algebraic equations and not just blindly apply them to problems.

Back