Need help with an arrangement problem of a word

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sunohara
  • Start date
In summary, the total number of arrangements without the words "eye" and "ram" is 7!/2!2! - 5!/2! - 5!/2! + 3!.
Sunohara
Consider the word AEEMRRY, how many arrangements are there without the words "eye" and "ram"?

The answer in my textbook is 7!/2!2! - 5!/2! - 5!/2! + 3!, but I don't understand where the 3! came from.. I understand that 7!/2!2! is the total number of arrangements and 5!/2! is basically the arrangements of "eye" and the next 5!/2! is the arrangements of "ram" in the word. However I don't understand why the book is adding 3!.

My original answer was 7!/2!2! - 5!/2! - 5!/2!, so it would be very great if someone can explain why there is a +3!. My teacher hinted towards the class that it was because there was an overlap or something, but I don't see where the overlap is occurring. Then my friend said that it was because we add 3! because we are over counting, but I don't understand that too...(Angry)

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3! comes from the arrangements of the overlapping letters. In the word AEEMRRY there are three letters that are repeated - M, R, and Y. The 7!/2!2! is the total number of arrangements, the 5!/2! is the arrangements of "eye" and the next 5!/2! is the arrangements of "ram" in the word. However, when we subtract the two 5!/2!'s, we are removing all the arrangements of the overlapping letters (M, R and Y) twice. So, to make sure we only count each arrangement of the overlapping letters once, we need to add 3! (the number of arrangements of the overlapping letters).

FAQ: Need help with an arrangement problem of a word

1. What is an arrangement problem of a word?

An arrangement problem of a word is a task that involves rearranging letters or characters in a given word to form new words or phrases. It is often used in puzzles or word games to test one's language skills and creativity.

2. How do I solve an arrangement problem of a word?

To solve an arrangement problem of a word, first, identify the given word and its letters. Then, try to rearrange the letters to form new words or phrases. You can use techniques like anagrams, palindromes, or rearranging letters in alphabetical order to help you solve the problem.

3. What skills does solving arrangement problems of words develop?

Solving arrangement problems of words can help develop language skills such as vocabulary, spelling, and word recognition. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.

4. Are there any strategies to solve arrangement problems of words?

Yes, there are various strategies that can help you solve arrangement problems of words. Some common strategies include breaking down the given word into smaller parts, trying to form words with prefixes and suffixes, and using word association techniques.

5. How can I improve my performance in solving arrangement problems of words?

The best way to improve your performance in solving arrangement problems of words is through practice. Engage in activities like crossword puzzles, anagram games, and word jumbles to sharpen your skills. Also, try to expand your vocabulary and learn new words to have more options when solving these problems.

Back