Need help with an inelastic collision problem

In summary, to find the speed of the car right before the collision, you can use the conservation of momentum principle. The final momentum of the two cars can be calculated by adding their masses and multiplying it by the final velocity, which you need to find. The cars are decelerated by a constant force of friction, which can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the weight of the cars. Using the distance the cars move after the collision, you can calculate the final velocity.
formulajoe
A car weighing 900 kg is waiting at a stop sign. A car weighing 1200 kg hits the oter car. The cars move .76 m after the collision. The coefficient of friction between the sliding tires and the pavement is .92. I need to find the speed of the car right before the collision.
I don't know what to use. Conservation of momentum doesn't work because I need at least one of the velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
formulajoe,
I think conservation of momentum is the right idea. I think you got to use it.
You got to find the final momentum. The idea is that the cars stick together after collision. So the final momentum is [itex](m_1 + m_2)v_{final}[/itex]. You got to find [itex]v_{final}[/itex].
You can do that. The cars are decelerated by a constant force of friction. This force is [itex]F = .92(m_1 + m_2)g[/itex]. From [itex]F[/itex] and [itex]d = .76m[/itex] you can calculate [itex]v_{final}[/itex].

To solve this problem, you can use the conservation of energy principle. First, calculate the total kinetic energy of the cars before the collision using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the car and v is the velocity. Since the car at the stop sign is not moving, its initial kinetic energy will be zero.

Next, use the coefficient of friction and the distance the cars moved after the collision to calculate the work done by friction on the cars. This can be done using the formula W = F * d, where F is the force of friction and d is the distance. The force of friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the weight of the cars (F = u * m * g).

Now, we can equate the initial kinetic energy to the final kinetic energy (after the collision) minus the work done by friction. This will give us an equation to solve for the initial velocity of the second car (since the first car is at rest). Once we have the initial velocity of the second car, we can use the conservation of momentum principle (m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2') to find the initial velocity of the first car.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Good luck!

FAQ: Need help with an inelastic collision problem

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, during the collision.

2. How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the objects involved may also deform or stick together after the collision.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity of an inelastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocity of an inelastic collision is vf = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

4. How do you know if a collision is inelastic?

A collision is considered inelastic if there is a change in the total kinetic energy of the system. This can be determined by comparing the initial and final velocities of the objects involved. If the final velocity is lower than the initial velocity, the collision is inelastic.

5. Can you give an example of an inelastic collision?

An example of an inelastic collision is when a car crashes into a wall. The car's kinetic energy is converted into heat and sound energy during the collision, causing the car to slow down and deform. Another example is when two clay balls collide, sticking together after the collision and losing some of their kinetic energy.