Need help with an Integral Homework Question

• Thread starter juice34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to a specific integral with a denominator that includes variables. The person asking the question is struggling with their attempt at the solution and the other person provides guidance and suggests a substitution method to solve the integral. The conversation ends with gratitude towards the person providing help.
juice34

Homework Statement

I am having trouble finding the right solution to this integral it is of the form int(1/x)dx=lnx+c but apparently I am doing it wrong because of the other factors in the denominator
integral(dx/[(k1+k2)x-k2*y]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i get (1/(k1+k2))(ln(x/xi))-(x-xi)/k2*y but apparently the answer is
(1/(k2+k2))ln[((k1+k2)x-k2*xi)/((k1+k2)xi-k2*xi)]
so what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

please note that i evalued the integrals for both from xi to x also

Is this your integral?
[tex]\int_{x_i}^x \frac{dt}{(k_1 + k_2)t - k_2 y}[/tex]

It's unusual to have a variable as a limit of integration that is also the dummy variable of the integrand, so I switched the dummy variable to t.

To do this integral, use u = (k_1 + k_2)t - k_2*y. Then du = (k_1 + k_2)dt. Can you finish this?

Thank you mark I understand now, you are a great help!

Aw, shucks!

Related to Need help with an Integral Homework Question

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is also known as the antiderivative of a function and is used to calculate the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why do I need help with an integral homework question?

Integrals can be complex and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts. It is common for students to struggle with integral homework questions, so seeking help from a teacher or tutor can greatly improve understanding and grades.

3. How do I solve an integral homework question?

The process for solving an integral homework question involves identifying the function and its limits, using integration rules or techniques to solve the integral, and then evaluating the integral to find the final answer.

4. Are there any tips for solving integral homework questions?

Yes, some tips for solving integral homework questions include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental principles, and breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. It is also helpful to ask for help when needed and to check your work for errors.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral homework question?

Some integrals can be solved using a calculator, but it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals. In some cases, a calculator may not provide the most accurate or complete solution, so it is best to solve integrals manually whenever possible.