Need help with Calculus 2 Project.

In summary, you are given an equation of a curve and are asked to find the length of the curve. You are also given the coordinates of the poles of the curve. You are then asked to solve for a.
Techman07
Looking for help on a certain project. I have posted the project in pdf format

http://home.ripway.com/2005-5/317800/proj1sum05.pdf

I have already solved the first problem (a), but problem b (finding the angle) doesn't make intuitive sense to me.If you all could be so kind, all ideas are greatly appreciated. Maybe if I understood the question better that would also help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you are given the equation of the curve created by the cable. Thus you can find the tangent line to to curve at [itex]x=\pm b[/itex]. Thus you can create a triangle using the tangent line as the hypotenuse, a pole as a vertical leg, and the horizontal line tangent to the minimum of the curve. Try drawing a picture.

number one...

man i don't even think I did number one right now...

Maybe you'll see it better if its translated.

A curve with equation y = 2acosh(x/a) intersects the x-axis at x = -b, b. Find the arclength of the curve. All you need to do is integrate arclength for x = -50 to 50.

its the letter a...

I don't mind integrating it, but I just can't figure out what a is...

Have you read the problem? it states a is a positive constant...

Considering real valued functions, this means

[tex] \{ a \epsilon \Re | a > 0 \} [/tex]

Last edited:
since the distance of the poles from another is 100m, then this means there are poles at [itex]x=\pm 50[/itex]. From then you can solve for [itex]a[/itex] since you know that [itex]S = 20[/itex] and you know what [itex]b[/itex] is.

Last edited:
I end up with (a+20 = a cosh(50/a), I know that this in turn is the same as
[a + 20 = a (e^(50/a) + e^-50/a) all over 2). There are too many a's I still don't understand how to simplify, thank you for your help though.

Related to Need help with Calculus 2 Project.

1. What is Calculus 2?

Calculus 2, also known as integral calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integrals, infinite series, and applications of integration. It is a continuation of Calculus 1 and builds upon concepts such as limits, derivatives, and basic integration.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Calculus 2 project?

A Calculus 2 project may cover topics such as integration techniques (such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions), applications of integration (such as finding areas, volumes, and arc length), and series (such as Taylor and Maclaurin series).

3. How can I effectively study for a Calculus 2 project?

To effectively study for a Calculus 2 project, it is important to review your notes and textbook, practice solving problems, and seek help from your instructor or classmates if needed. It is also helpful to break down the project into smaller tasks and work on them consistently over time rather than trying to complete it all at once.

4. What are some common mistakes students make in Calculus 2 projects?

Some common mistakes students make in Calculus 2 projects include not understanding the fundamental concepts, rushing through problems and making careless errors, and not showing all steps and work in their solutions. It is important to take the time to understand the concepts and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with a Calculus 2 project?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can help with a Calculus 2 project. Some examples include online tutorials, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, and interactive graphing calculators. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to your own studying and not rely on them completely.

Back