Need help with chemistry lab - kinetics

In summary, the purpose of a chemistry lab focused on kinetics is to study the rate of chemical reactions and their influencing factors. The rate of a chemical reaction can be measured by monitoring changes in concentration over time through techniques like spectrophotometry and titration. Factors such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst can affect the rate of a chemical reaction. Kinetics data has real-world applications in various industries and is crucial in fields like drug development and environmental remediation. Safety precautions, such as wearing appropriate PPE and following safety protocols, should be taken in a chemistry lab focused on kinetics.
eku_girl83
need urgent help with chemistry lab - kinetics

Where can I obtain the accepted value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid?

I did the first part of the lab, which involved finding the rate law experimentally, correctly. But I ran out of time on the second part (effect of temperature on rate constant).

Please help!

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think this is a quasi-duplicate post. Dear Moderator, please review and consider this post about its fate.

Hello, I understand your urgency and am happy to assist you with your chemistry lab on kinetics. For the accepted value of the activation energy for the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid, you can refer to reliable sources such as textbooks, scientific journals, or online databases. You can also ask your instructor for the specific value they expect for this experiment.

For the second part of the lab, you can try to finish it by using the data you collected in the first part and extrapolating to higher temperatures. You can also try to find the activation energy using the Arrhenius equation. If you are still having trouble, I suggest reaching out to your instructor for further guidance and clarification.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

Related to Need help with chemistry lab - kinetics

What is the purpose of a chemistry lab focused on kinetics?

The purpose of a chemistry lab focused on kinetics is to study the rate of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them. This information can be used to understand and control chemical reactions in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and environmental sustainability.

How do you measure the rate of a chemical reaction in a lab?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be measured by monitoring changes in the concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done through various techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or gas chromatography.

What are some common factors that affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Temperature, concentration, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst are some common factors that can affect the rate of a chemical reaction. Other factors such as pressure, solvent, and the nature of the reactants can also play a role.

How can kinetics data be used in real-world applications?

Kinetics data can be used to design and optimize industrial processes, develop new products, and understand the behavior of natural and synthetic systems. It is also essential in fields such as drug development, environmental remediation, and food preservation.

What safety precautions should be taken in a chemistry lab focused on kinetics?

In a chemistry lab focused on kinetics, it is crucial to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as goggles, gloves, and lab coats. Proper ventilation and handling of chemicals are also essential to prevent accidents. It is also important to carefully read and follow all instructions and safety protocols provided by the lab supervisor.