Need help with deciphering calculus 2 problem

In summary, the problem is asking to use substitution to show that for any continuous function f, the integral from 0 to pi/2 of f(sin x) dx is equal to the integral from 0 to pi/2 of f(cos x) dx. The substitution can be done by simply changing the dummy variable from u to x in the second integral.
Al3x L3g3nd

Homework Statement

Use substitution to show that for any continuous function f,
$$\int_0^{\pi/2} f(\sin x)\,dx = \int_0^{\pi/2} f(\cos x)\,dx.$$

Homework Equations

$$\cos(\pi/2-x)=\sin x$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion is that f is inside the integral, and I have no idea if it would change anything.

When I do the substitution normally, I get ##\int_0^{\pi/2} f(\cos u)\,du##, but that doesn't help because it is in terms of u and not x.

Can someone help me understand this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shoot. I don't know how the formatting works on this site. The squigly line is an integrand and they all go from 0 to pi/2.

Last edited:
Al3x L3g3nd said:
When I do the substitution normally, I get ##\int_0^{\pi/2} f(\cos u)\,du##, but that doesn't help because it is in terms of u and not x.
I don't think it matters. In the definite integrals of f(x) dx, from x = a to x = b, x is a dummy variable, since it could be replaced everywhere by any other letter and the meaning would be unchanged. So IIRC you can just change the letters from
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} f(\cos u)\,du[/tex]
to
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} f(\cos x)\,dx[/tex]
and you're done.

Related to Need help with deciphering calculus 2 problem

1. What is the first step in deciphering a calculus 2 problem?

The first step in deciphering a calculus 2 problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify the given information, what is being asked for, and any relevant equations or concepts.

2. How do I know which calculus 2 concepts to use in a problem?

The key to choosing the right concepts in a calculus 2 problem is to focus on what the problem is asking for and what information is provided. Look for key words and phrases that indicate which concepts may be relevant, and refer to your class notes or textbook for guidance.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a calculus 2 problem?

If you encounter difficulty with a calculus 2 problem, don't panic. Take a step back and review the given information and what is being asked for. Try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

4. How can I check my work on a calculus 2 problem?

To check your work on a calculus 2 problem, you can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to graph the function and see if it matches your solution. You can also plug your solution back into the original problem to see if it satisfies the given conditions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus 2 problems?

The best way to improve your understanding of calculus 2 problems is to practice regularly. Work through a variety of problems and seek help when needed. You can also try explaining the concepts and solutions to someone else, as teaching is a great way to solidify your understanding.

Back