Need help with equilibrium equations - Please

• Thread starter aaronfue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the student is seeking help with calculating Kc for a given reaction and is unsure about which equations to use. They mention attempting to write the second equation backwards and express confusion about the conventions for writing equations. They also provide a link to a resource they consulted for guidance.
aaronfue
Need help with equilibrium equations -- ASAP Please

Homework Statement

I'm studying for a final that I'm taking tomorrow and am stuck on the following:

Calculate Kc for the reaction:

4NOBr (g) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] 4NO (g) + 2Br2 (g)

given the following information:

2NO(g) + Br2 (g) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] 2NOBr (g); K = 2.0

Homework Equations

Not sure about which equations other than Kc = [itex]\frac{[products]}{[reactions]}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even start this answer. My first assumption of where to start was to write the second equation backwards, just so it looked like the first!??

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]K_c=(1/K)^2[/tex]

Related to Need help with equilibrium equations - Please

1. What is an equilibrium equation?

An equilibrium equation is a mathematical expression that represents the balance between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It shows the relationship between the concentrations of the substances involved and the direction in which the reaction will proceed.

2. How do I write an equilibrium equation?

To write an equilibrium equation, first identify the reactants and products in the chemical reaction. Then, write the equation by placing the reactants on the left side of the arrow and the products on the right side. Finally, balance the equation by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides.

3. What is the difference between a forward and reverse reaction in an equilibrium equation?

In an equilibrium equation, the forward reaction represents the conversion of reactants into products, while the reverse reaction represents the conversion of products back into reactants. Both reactions occur simultaneously and at the same rate, resulting in a state of balance.

4. How do I calculate the equilibrium constant (K) for an equilibrium equation?

The equilibrium constant (K) can be calculated by taking the concentration of the products and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. The value of K indicates the extent to which the reaction will proceed towards products or reactants at equilibrium.

5. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium of a chemical reaction can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Adding or removing reactants or products, as well as changing the volume of the reaction container, can also shift the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction.