Need help with impulsive tension in an inextensible string.

In summary, the problem involves three particles connected by strings and an impulse applied to one of the particles. The goal is to find the impulsive tension in each string and the initial velocity of each particle. The key answers are given as J√3 / 15; 4J√3 / 15 for the tension, and for the velocities: v A = J√3 / 15m along AB, v B = 2J√21 / 15m at arctan 3√3 to AB, and v C = 4J√3 / 15m along CB.
franklinear
1. The problem statement, all
variables and given/known
data

Three particles A, B and C all of mass m rest on a smooth horizontal plane so that angle ABC is 120 degree. B is connected to both A and C by light inextensible string which are initially just taut. An impulse J is then applied to particle B in a direction making an angle of 150
with BC and 90 with BA.
Find impulsive tension in each string and the initial velocity of each particle.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I could do one similar question i.e. when the impulse is applied to B making a horizontal direction to the right. The horizontal velocity of A and B would be the same but A also experiences vertical move. However for this question, I can't solve it. I've tried many times but still don't get the point.

key answers given:
J √3 / 15; 4J√3 / 15
v A: J√3 / 15m along AB
v B: 2J√21 / 15m at arctan 3√3 to AB
v C: 4J√3 / 15m along CB

Please help me. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've replied to your other post on TSR.

FAQ: Need help with impulsive tension in an inextensible string.

1. What causes impulsive tension in an inextensible string?

Impulsive tension in an inextensible string is caused by a sudden, severe force or impact on the string. This can be from an external source or from the string itself being stretched beyond its limits.

2. How does impulsive tension affect the string?

Impulsive tension can cause the string to stretch, deform, or even break if the force is strong enough. It can also cause vibrations along the length of the string.

3. What can be done to reduce impulsive tension in a string?

To reduce impulsive tension, you can use a more elastic string, increase the thickness of the string, or add additional support points along the length of the string to distribute the tension more evenly.

4. Can impulsive tension be measured?

Yes, impulsive tension can be measured using a tension meter or force gauge. These instruments can measure the force being applied to the string and give an accurate reading of the impulsive tension.

5. How does impulsive tension impact the performance of a string-based instrument?

Impulsive tension can greatly impact the performance of a string-based instrument. If the tension is too high, it can cause the strings to break or produce unwanted vibrations and sounds. It is important to maintain the proper tension in order to produce the desired sound and playability of the instrument.