Need help with lock design!

supagain
TL;DR Summary: Want a lock that unlocks when flipped upside down

As the TL;DR summary says, I am trying to come up with a design for a lock that unlocks when it is flipped upside down. I've looked into spring loaded locks and different lever devices but no luck. Hoping someone can assist, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

That doesn't sound like a very effective lock, IMO. Is this for a schoolwork assignment?

Hi thank you and yes for a class...it is for a bucket. I'd like the top of the bucket to stay locked unless it is flipped upside down.

Okay, let me move your thread to the schoolwork forums then. Can you show us some of your sketches and work on this so far? Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to attach some of your design ideas. Thanks.

BTW, are you familiar with the key-tumbler lock design? Normally the pins are spring loaded to resist the key lands, but can you envision a variation on that theme where if you turned the padlock upside-down that would clear the pin obstructions? :wink:

I will research key-tumbler locks. Attached are my first couple drawings... they probably aren't close I will continue trying.

IMG_7796.jpg

The idea is when the bucket is turned upside down the lock unlocks an the lid opens freely

Fun project. :smile:

So in the simplest terms, this isn't really a lock, it's more of a latch, right? Would you get extra credit for a more complicated "real" lock that needed to be turned upside-down to be unlocked? (like my pin-tumbler-key suggestion above)

Likes jim mcnamara and DaveE
Correct it would probably be more of a latch. Possibly a spring loaded latch? Started thinking about incorporating magnetics and ball bearings to maybe have the ball bearing movement release the latch.

Springs and magnetics don't care if they are upside-down. Weighted assemblies do care.

(But springs and magnetics hate it when we anthropomorphize them.) :wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Filip Larsen and FactChecker