Need help with Newtonian equations with angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of θ in equations such as sinθ = θ and θ = S/R, and how to apply it to specific problems involving angles and displacement. It also mentions the par-axial approximation and the importance of using physics to find the equation before plugging in numerical values.
Blockade
For an equations such as this what goes into the θ?

θ = sinθ or θ = θ?

Let's say if the angle of displacement = 45° do I just plug 45° as θ into the equation below or should it be sin(45°)?

Or is it θ = S/R ?
ωf2 = ωi2 + 2 α (θf - θi)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way of knowing without the specific problem you are trying to solve.

##\theta = \sin\theta## is true for the intersection of the line ##y=\theta## with the curve ##y=\sin\theta## which occurs for ##\theta=0##
The relation ##\sin\theta \approx\theta## is known as the par-axial approximation, it applies when ##\theta \approx 0##.

If you want to find the arclength subtended by 45 degrees, then you would put ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}## into ##S=R\theta## to find out.

If an object has turned through 45deg starting with speed ##\omega_i## and accelerating at constant ##\alpha## ... and you wanted to know the final angular velocity, then you would put ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}## into ##\omega_f^2=\omega_i^2+2\alpha\theta##

It is unclear what you mean by "the Newtonian equations" in this context ... Newton's second law, for instance, would be ##\sum\vec \tau = I\vec\alpha##

In physics: angles are always used in radians, and you should never try to work a physics problem just by putting numbers into equations: you should use physics to find the equation first.

FAQ: Need help with Newtonian equations with angular momentum

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of angular momentum, the object will continue to rotate at a constant rate unless an external torque is applied, in accordance with Newton's second law of motion.

What is the equation for angular momentum?

The equation for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This equation is similar to the equation for linear momentum (p = mv), but accounts for rotational motion.

How is angular momentum conserved?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on the system, the angular momentum will remain the same. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

How can I use angular momentum equations to solve problems?

To solve problems involving angular momentum, it is important to identify all relevant quantities (such as moment of inertia, angular velocity, and external torques) and apply the appropriate equations. It may also be helpful to use diagrams or free-body diagrams to visualize the problem.