Need help with number of equiprobable outcomes

• Thread starter controlswhiz
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of all r passengers ending up in different cars on a subway train made up of n cars, where r is less than n, is calculated by using the equation P(A) = N(A)/N, where N(A) is the number of restricted outcomes and N is the total number of outcomes, which is n^r. This means that any number of passengers can be in a car, resulting in a higher number of total outcomes.
controlswhiz

Homework Statement

A subway train made up of [itex]n[/itex] cars is boarded by [itex]r[/itex] passengers [itex](r < n)[/itex],
each entering a car completely at random. What is the probability of the
passengers all ending up in different cars?

Homework Equations

[itex]P(A) = \frac{N(A)}{N}[/itex]

[itex]A[/itex] - no more than one passenger enters any car

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1. Finding the total number of equiprobable outcomes [itex]N[/itex]
The book says that the number of equiprobable outcomes [itex]N[/itex] is [itex]n^r[/itex].
I've set up a table (included in the attachment) with 3 cars and 2
passengers and came up with only 6 equiprobable outcomes. What
I don't understand is that the passenger will not be in two cars at
once so why would the solution be [itex]N = n*n*...*n = n^r[/itex].

EDIT:
Another book with the same problem with the same solution.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
controlswhiz said:

Homework Statement

A subway train made up of [itex]n[/itex] cars is boarded by [itex]r[/itex] passengers [itex](r < n)[/itex],
each entering a car completely at random. What is the probability of the
passengers all ending up in different cars?

Homework Equations

[itex]P(A) = \frac{N(A)}{N}[/itex]

[itex]A[/itex] - no more than one passenger enters any car

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1. Finding the total number of equiprobable outcomes [itex]N[/itex]
The book says that the number of equiprobable outcomes [itex]N[/itex] is [itex]n^r[/itex].
I've set up a table (included in the attachment) with 3 cars and 2
passengers and came up with only 6 equiprobable outcomes. What
I don't understand is that the passenger will not be in two cars at
once so why would the solution be [itex]N = n*n*...*n = n^r[/itex].

EDIT:
Another book with the same problem with the same solution.

The 6 you have there is the number of restricted outcomes where there aren't two passengers in any car N(A). The N in the problem is the number of total outcomes, where any number of passengers can be in a car. The N is 3^2=9. which is the n^r. The probablity is the quotient. Got it? The N isn't the restricted outcomes. N(A) is the restricted outcomes.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh yeah. That's very stupid of me. :redface: Thanks Dick.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 390

FAQ: Need help with number of equiprobable outcomes

1. How do I calculate the number of equiprobable outcomes?

To calculate the number of equiprobable outcomes, you need to use the formula n^r, where n represents the number of possible outcomes for each trial and r represents the number of trials. For example, if you are flipping a coin 3 times, the number of equiprobable outcomes would be 2^3, which equals 8.

2. What is the significance of knowing the number of equiprobable outcomes?

The number of equiprobable outcomes is important because it helps determine the likelihood or probability of a particular outcome occurring. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze data in various fields such as statistics, economics, and psychology.

3. Can the number of equiprobable outcomes be infinite?

No, the number of equiprobable outcomes cannot be infinite. It is a finite number that depends on the number of possible outcomes for each trial and the number of trials. However, it can be a very large number in some cases.

4. How does the concept of equiprobable outcomes relate to the concept of randomness?

The concept of equiprobable outcomes is closely related to the concept of randomness. When all outcomes are equally likely to occur, we can say that the process is random. Therefore, the number of equiprobable outcomes can give us an idea of how random a particular process is.

5. Can the number of equiprobable outcomes change?

Yes, the number of equiprobable outcomes can change depending on the conditions of the experiment or the number of possible outcomes. For example, if you are rolling a die and then add another die, the number of equiprobable outcomes will increase from 6 to 36.

Back