Need help with Oscillation Vertical Spring Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring, block, and disc oscillating in a vertical plane. The problem statement is unclear and there is a debate about the relevance of friction in the problem. Part a involves finding the frequency at which the disc loses contact with the block, and part b involves finding the displacement when the frequency is increased. Some of the calculations and assumptions made are questioned, and the conversation ends with a disagreement about the acceleration of the block at a certain point.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

Screen shot 2014-11-28 at 7.24.45 PM.png

Homework Equations

ΣF , ω=√(k/m), f=w/(2pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured since the only forces acting on the block is the Spring force and a normal force in the downward position. Not a hundred percent sure of this though.

For Disc:
ΣFy= Fn - Fg - fs (static) = ma = 0

For Spring:
ΣFy= fs-Fs (Spring) - Fn = ma = 0
-> fs-Fs=Fn

Equating both Spring and Disc:
fs-Fs-Fg-fs = 0
--> ky = mg
k= mg / y= (.002kg)(9.8m/s^2) / (.08m) = .245 N/m

w= sqrt (k/m) = sqrt ((.245N/m)/(.010 kg+.002kg)) = 4.52 rad/s

f= .719 Hz

Is this correct for part a? Can somebody please assist me, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"If the oscillation speed is slowly increased..." What on Earth does this mean? There is no excitation indicated, so how does the system oscillate at any frequency other than its natural frequency? Not a clear problem statement.

Also, I fail to see any place where the friction between the two masses is relevant at all.

Dr.D said:
"If the oscillation speed is slowly increased..." What on Earth does this mean? There is no excitation indicated, so how does the system oscillate at any frequency other than its natural frequency? Not a clear problem statement.

Also, I fail to see any place where the friction between the two masses is relevant at all.
Hm, well if we assume that the system oscillates at its natural frequency, would my steps be correct in tackling this problem?

Hm, well if we assume that the system oscillates at its natural frequency, would my steps be correct in tackling this problem? I mean, I agree with you since my static frictions that I've calculated in the problem canceled out...

Vertical plane could be interpreted as side-to-side. Friction would matter then, but the rest would be nonsense.
The only way I can make sense of this question is as follows:
A spring+block+disc oscillates in a vertical line with an amplitude of 8cm.
If the oscillation were any faster than it is, the disc would lose contact with the block.
How fast is the oscillation?​
(and the answer is > 1 Hz).
For part b, the obvious answer is zero. Maybe it means that you should now take the frequency to be some arbitrary value ##\omega## greater than the critical value calculated in part a and obtain an expression for the recontact displacement in terms of that.

haruspex said:
For part b, the obvious answer is zero. Maybe it means that you should now take the frequency to be some arbitrary value ω\omega greater than the critical value calculated in part a and obtain an expression for the recontact displacement in terms of that.
I'm sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.

Aristotle said:
I'm sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.
In part a), we find an oscillation frequency (no idea why it says maximum; minimum would make more sense) that is just sufficient to make the disc lose contact with the block. This will happen at a particular point in the oscillation (where?). If it is only just sufficient then recontact will be almost immediate, so the displacement is effectively zero.
To make sense of part b), I think you need to assume an unknown frequency, ##\omega##, greater than that found in part a), and obtain an expression for the recontact displacement as a function of ##\omega##.

Where does this shockingly worded question come from?

haruspex said:
In part a), we find an oscillation frequency (no idea why it says maximum; minimum would make more sense) that is just sufficient to make the disc lose contact with the block. This will happen at a particular point in the oscillation (where?). If it is only just sufficient then recontact will be almost immediate, so the displacement is effectively zero.
To make sense of part b), I think you need to assume an unknown frequency, ##\omega##, greater than that found in part a), and obtain an expression for the recontact displacement as a function of ##\omega##.

Where does this shockingly worded question come from?
Well think of it this way. If you were holding a folder with your hands, and for a brief moment you quickly let go of your hands...where does the folder go? Acceleration is then gravity (9.81m/s^2). Similar goes to this problem.
Okay so you have this spring and its oscillating up and down right? and there's a block attached to it with the disc on top so when the spring oscilates at its highest point it'll come back down where the disc will lose contact with the block for a brief moment so at the brief moment when the disc is away from the block as it oscillates down we have to look for how far the disc will displace to meet again with the block Turns out a=g. Got about 1.7 Hz for part a.

Aristotle said:
Well think of it this way. If you were holding a folder with your hands, and for a brief moment you quickly let go of your hands...where does the folder go? Acceleration is then gravity (9.81m/s^2). Similar goes to this problem.
Is this in response to my claim that at the critical frequency the recontact displacement will be zero? If so, I don't get the analogy.
Aristotle said:
Turns out a=g
Right. But a moment later, what will the acceleration of the block be?
Aristotle said:
Got about 1.7 Hz for part a.
I get 1.76.

haruspex said:
Is this in response to my claim that at the critical frequency the recontact displacement will be zero? If so, I don't get the analogy.

I get 1.76.

haruspex said:
At what point later?
haruspex said:
Are you asking of the acceleration of the block as it reaches its max from the spring or...?

Related to Need help with Oscillation Vertical Spring Problem

1. What is the equation for calculating the period of a vertical spring oscillation?

The equation for calculating the period of a vertical spring oscillation is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.

2. How does the amplitude affect the period of a vertical spring oscillation?

The amplitude, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, does not affect the period of a vertical spring oscillation. This means that regardless of the amplitude, the period will remain the same as long as the mass and spring constant are constant.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the period of a vertical spring oscillation?

The mass of the object attached to the spring affects the period of a vertical spring oscillation. As the mass increases, the period also increases. This is because a heavier mass requires more force to oscillate and therefore takes longer to complete one cycle of oscillation.

4. How does the spring constant affect the period of a vertical spring oscillation?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, affects the period of a vertical spring oscillation. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch and compress, resulting in a shorter period. Conversely, a lower spring constant results in a longer period.

5. How can I determine the displacement of an object at a specific time during a vertical spring oscillation?

The displacement of an object at a specific time during a vertical spring oscillation can be determined using the equation x = A cos(2πt/T), where x is the displacement at time t in meters, A is the amplitude in meters, T is the period in seconds, and cos is the cosine function. Simply plug in the values for A, T, and t to calculate the displacement at a specific time.