Need help with some keywords to search with

• Thread starter perfectchaos180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary, I think you might look in vain for keywords relating to beams specifically. You should instead look into material properties and stress calculations related to beam bending.
perfectchaos180
I am doing a research project on "How does the shape of a beam effect how much stress it can take?" Right now I have to search through a database and find some abstracts related to my topic. The problem is, I don't know what keywords I should be searching to find some good information on beams or steel related to my topic. So I was wondering if anybody can think of some good keywords to search with. Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you might look in vain. Shape is not the parameter you need to look at. Do you have a copy of Machinery's Handbook or (better) the AISI Steel Construction Manual? And, you will need to define some of the conditions, i.e., what kind of stress and type of support.

The topic is something I am going to research myself, and do experiments on, etc. But for the first stage of our project our teacher told us to go get abstracts relating to it. So just anything to do with beams that could give me more information that might help me going into my project. But when I search for "beams" I get so many different things so I was just looking for some keywords to help get to those abstracts. And no I don't have books or anything, and I haven't decided on the stress or support yet.

I am doing a research project on "How does the shape of a beam effect how much stress it can take?"
This is not a good way to phrase this statement. The allowable stress a beam can take is solely a function of the material. I think what you really want to look at is how does the shape of a beam effect how much load can a beam take.

Look up the basic stress calculations for beam bending. From that you'll see that, apart from material properties, one very important aspect you can change is the cross sectional area moment of inertia. The higher that number is, the greater loads you can apply with the same resultant stress.

Related to Need help with some keywords to search with

1. What are keywords and why are they important for searching?

Keywords are words or phrases that are used to describe a specific topic or concept. They are important for searching because they help search engines and databases to identify and retrieve relevant information.

2. How do I choose the right keywords for my search?

The best way to choose keywords is to think about the main theme or topic of your search and come up with words or phrases that are closely related to it. You can also try brainstorming different synonyms or related terms.

3. Can I use multiple keywords in a search?

Yes, you can use multiple keywords in a search by separating them with the word "and" or using quotation marks to indicate a phrase. This can help to narrow down your search results and make them more relevant to your topic.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can help me with keyword research?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available for keyword research, such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner, SEMrush, and Moz Keyword Explorer. These tools can help you to identify popular and relevant keywords for your search.

5. How can I improve my keyword search results?

To improve your keyword search results, you can try using more specific and targeted keywords, using advanced search options, and filtering your results by date, language, or other criteria. It can also be helpful to review and refine your search strategy if you are not getting the desired results.