Need help with two questions, dealing with electricity

• Thread starter Marcelgluch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
I0 is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.In summary, the conversation includes two questions about understanding assignments. The first question asks for an estimate of the necessary length of a Nichrome wire with given dimensions and power requirements. The second question involves determining the frequency, resistance, and average power delivered to a light bulb connected to a 120 V wall socket. The formula P=V^2/R and the relation I=I0sin(ωt) are suggested to help with these calculations.
Marcelgluch
Hi, i have two questions from my assignment that i am having a very hard time understanding...

1. A piece of Nichrome wire has a radius of 6.5x10^-4 m. It is used in a laboratory to make a heater that uses 4.00x10^2 W of power when connected to a voltage source of 120 V. Ignoring the effect of temperature on resistance, estimate the necessary length of wire.

2.A light bulb is connected to a 120.0 V wall socket. the current in the bulb depends on the time (t) according to the relation I = (0.707 A)sin[(314Hz)t]. (a) what is the frequency of the alternating current? (b) determine the resistance of the bulb's filament. (c) what is the aaverage power deliever to the light bulb?

Could someone please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
P=V2/R will help you.

I=I0sin(ωt)

FAQ: Need help with two questions, dealing with electricity

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that results from the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It can be harnessed and utilized to power various devices and systems.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated through a variety of methods, including burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. These methods involve converting other forms of energy into electrical energy.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC is the type of electricity used in most homes and buildings, while DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. How is electricity measured?

Electricity is measured in units of power called watts (W), which represent the rate at which energy is used. The amount of energy used over time is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) and is commonly used for billing purposes.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when dealing with electricity?

To ensure safety when dealing with electricity, it is important to always turn off the power source before working on any electrical equipment or wiring. It is also important to use insulated tools, wear protective gear, and follow proper procedures to avoid electric shock or fires. If unsure, it is best to consult a professional electrician.

Back