Need help with writing set notation.

In summary, when writing two statements in set notation for a technical paper, it is important to consider the context and style of the publication. In this case, for a table with limited space, using set notation may be preferable. It is also important to use consistent notation and clear language, such as explicitly stating the variables and their values. Ultimately, the best approach would be to refer to previously published papers in the same journal for guidance.
blink-
I need help with some set notation. I am an engineering major and don't know the proper notation. I am trying to write two statements. I have two sets, [itex]x_1[/itex] = {1,2,3}, and [itex]x_2[/itex] = {4,5,6}.

Verbal Statements:
[itex]y_1[/itex] was measured for all values of [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]
[itex]y_2[/itex] was measured, for all values of [itex]x_1[/itex], and only the first element (4) of [itex]x_2[/itex]

Attempt:
[itex]y_1[/itex] measured [itex]\forall x_1[/itex], [itex]\forall x_2[/itex]
[itex]y_2[/itex] measured [itex]\forall x_1[/itex], {4} [itex]\cap\: x_2[/itex]
or
[itex]y_2[/itex] measured [itex]\forall x_1[/itex], {4} [itex]\in x_2[/itex]

Are any of these correct? Is there a more proper way to write this?

Physics news on Phys.org
blink- said:
I am trying to write two statements.

You should explain in what context you are trying to write something. Is it in a technical report? Homework for a logic course? Homework for a statistics course? After all, you can express yourself using only words. In many contexts, mathematical notation is unnecessary.

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. It is for a technical paper (journal publication). I prefer to use the set notation because it is going in a table with limited space.

The safest procedure is to look at tables from articles the journal published and see what those authors did.

To me, it is confusing to have integers both as subscripts on the sets [itex] x_i [/itex] and also as to have them as elements of the sets themselves. If an integer such as 4 is only going to appear as an element of a single set [itex] x_i [/itex], why don't you simply list the elements where the measurements were taken? Such as {1,2,3,4} ?

Hey Stephen,

I was trying to use a simplified example. The sets contain floats and integers. Here is a picture of the table in question.

I would prefer using set notation, but if you think listing all elements is a better idea, I can do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is qestion of "literary style", not a question of how to write mathematics. To me, it is better to write "all values of [itex] x_1 [/itex]" instead of using the mathematical abreviation "for all" and not usiing other consistent notation with it. To use a quantifier, you need a variable. Your idea would be expressed as "for all v such that v is a member of [itex] x_1 [/itex]". The quantifer would be applied to a variable, not to a set.

if you want to use [itex] x_1, x_2 [/itex] as variables instead of sets, you could use notation like
[itex] x1 \in \{-90.0 , -45.0, 0, 45.0 , 90 \} , x_2 \in \{12.6\} [/itex]

Thanks for all the replies Stephen. You have been a big help. I do agree, this is more of a literary style question, sorry if this was the wrong forum to post it in.

Just to confirm, you think something like this would be best:

x1 angular position (deg)
x2 gas velocity (cm/s)

y1 frequency (Hz), observed at x1 [itex]\in[/itex] {-90,-45,0,45,90}, x2 [itex]\in[/itex] {5.5,7,11,12.6}
y2 fraction (-), observed at x1 [itex]\in[/itex] {-90,-45,0,45,90}, x2 [itex]\in[/itex] {12.6}

I can't think of a better way than what you wrote.

Again, papers published in a journal are the best guide to what the journal's editors like.

Related to Need help with writing set notation.

1. What is set notation?

Set notation is a mathematical language used to represent sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It includes symbols and operators that define relationships between sets and their elements.

2. How do you write set notation?

To write set notation, you use braces { } to enclose a list of elements or use the ellipsis (...) to represent a pattern. You can also use symbols such as ∈ to show membership and ⊆ to indicate a subset relationship.

3. What is the difference between roster notation and set-builder notation?

Roster notation lists all the elements of a set, while set-builder notation uses a rule or condition to describe the elements of a set. For example, the set of even numbers can be written as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...} in roster notation or {x | x is an even number} in set-builder notation.

4. How is set notation used in mathematics?

Set notation is used in various mathematical concepts, such as set theory, algebra, and calculus. It helps to define relationships between sets, perform operations on sets, and solve equations involving sets.

5. Can set notation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, set notation can be used in real-life situations, such as organizing data, categorizing objects, and finding solutions to problems. For example, a Venn diagram, which uses set notation, can be used to represent the relationship between different groups of people or objects.