Need hlep with a triangle question (Trigonometry)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the lengths of AP, AQ, and PQ in an equilateral triangle with vertex A resting on BC at point D, where BD = 1 and DC = 2. The given information is not sufficient to find the lengths of these sides, and the participants discuss possible approaches and potential discrepancies in the question. The conversation ends with one participant continuing to work on the problem, while expressing suspicion that it may be a prank.
ultimatesoulx
I'm doing some trigonometry, and right now I'm given this equilateral triangle,

http://i.imgur.com/WOPCk.png
So how would I go about to find side AP, AQ, and PQ? I think I have a grasp of what it is, but not sure how to execute. I know you have 60 degree angle for ABC and all sides are 3, but not sure how to go about finding the rest of the stuff. Would I maybe make side AP 3 - x and BP x and then AQ as 3-y and QC as y?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lengths AP, AQ, PQ could be pretty much anything, for the information you have given. Have you missed some of the details of the question out?

So the whole question is...

An equilateral triangle ABC has been creased and folded so that its vertex A now rests on BC at D, such that BD = 1 and DC = 2. Find the length of

A) AP B) AQ C) PQ

That's all it says, so I drew a diagram of it, since u know the angles of ABC and the outer line.

Isn't angle PDQ 60 degrees because it was formed by folding the original triangle?

Line PA and line PD are also the same, as should AQ and DQ for the same reason above.

djpailo said:
Isn't angle PDQ 60 degrees because it was formed by folding the original triangle?

Line PA and line PD are also the same, as should AQ and DQ for the same reason above.

Yeah, should be since it's an equilateral, so now you know the inner angles and the outer angles, plus the bottom side.

I visualize the triangle PAQ spinning on an axis that intersects point Q and that is parallel to line BC. So PAQ is the vertical flip of QDP. I think, both angles are equal in every way. I picture a quadrilateral, where all the angles that make up the two unknown, bigger, angles in the quadrilateral are equal to 60 deg. I see that all the angles in the triangles in ABC are 60 degrees now.

DQ = 2 units

DQ = AQ = 2 units

As I continue it seems that all the unknown lines' lengths except QC and BP, which are 1 unit each, are equal to 2 units.

In my attempt to answer the posed question, I suspected that this thread might be a slightly elaborate prank. However, I continued to work through the problem in case it was not. I think it's possible that the validity of the question and given info by the original poster can be verified by someone who can translate the given info into a representation on the xy plane. If my work here is erroneous, feel free to inform me.

Related to Need hlep with a triangle question (Trigonometry)

1. What is a triangle in trigonometry?

A triangle in trigonometry is a geometric shape with three sides and three angles. It is a fundamental shape in trigonometry and is used to represent various mathematical concepts.

2. How do I find the missing side of a triangle in trigonometry?

To find the missing side of a triangle in trigonometry, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if the triangle is a right triangle. If it is not a right triangle, you can use trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the missing side.

3. What are the trigonometric ratios?

The trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent, which are abbreviated as sin, cos, and tan, respectively. These ratios relate the three sides of a right triangle to its angles and are used to solve various trigonometry problems.

4. How do I use trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, it can be used to calculate the height of a building, the length of a bridge, or the distance between two points on a map.

5. What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle in trigonometry is a circle with a radius of one, centered at the origin of the coordinate system. It is used to visualize the values of trigonometric functions at different angles and is an essential tool in solving trigonometry problems.