Need One More Class for Next Fall

In summary, the speaker is a rising senior Physics Major who needs one more class to meet the credit hour requirement for their scholarship. Their adviser recommended looking at three classes: Intro to Software Engineering, Algebraic Structures, and Circuits. The speaker is also open to other recommendations. They are all elective courses, but the speaker's adviser suggested taking a class that fulfills a degree requirement for the next year. The speaker is considering either Circuits or Software Engineering, with a preference towards programming due to its relevance in their day-to-day work. Overall, both classes have merit.
MechTech
I am a rising senior Physics Major who needs one more class to meet the credit hour requirement to keep my scholarship. These are the class that fit into my schedule that my adviser told me to look at:

Intro to Software Engineering - really just advanced C++, UML use, memory management, and implementation of data structures.

Algebraic Structures - your typical algebraic structure class

Circuits - A low level EE class about circuits with a lab. My adviser said this may help in build testing apparatus for the upper level physics lab I am taking.

I am also open to any recommendations from anyone here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are all of these classes on your required list or are they all elective courses? I would take something that fulfills a degree requirement for your next year over something that doesn't, given the choice. If they are all equal in this regard, then I would choose either circuits or software engineering.

Circuits was a very involved and difficult class for me when I took it, and I never use that material anymore in my day to day work. Anything with programming would have been more helpful to me because I still write programs routinely. Had I gone into a different specialty then everything might have been reversed.

Either way I think both have a lot of merit.

They are all elective courses. Thanks for your input

FAQ: Need One More Class for Next Fall

1. What is the purpose of needing one more class for next fall?

The purpose of needing one more class for next fall can vary. It could be to fulfill degree requirements, to explore a new subject, or to meet prerequisites for future courses.

2. How do I determine which class I need to take?

Your academic advisor or department can assist you in determining which class you need to take. They can also help you create a plan to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

3. Can I take the class online?

It depends on the class and your institution's policies. Some classes may only be offered in person, while others may have an online option. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course catalog for more information.

4. What if the class I need is full?

If the class you need is full, you can try reaching out to the instructor to see if they can make an exception and allow you to enroll. You can also check if there is a waitlist option for the class.

5. What are the consequences of not taking the class next fall?

The consequences of not taking the class next fall can vary. It could delay your graduation, limit your options for future courses, or affect your financial aid. It is important to speak with your academic advisor to understand the implications for your specific situation.