Need some advice on what to do over the summer

In summary, a freshman at a LAC majoring in EE has applied to around 5 REU programs in different fields of physics, but has already been rejected from two. He is now a bit nervous because he heard it is even harder to find a internship in tech areas with his class standing. He wants to make the most out of his summer and is currently going into his 4th semester in Mechanical Engineering. He wants to know what he should do to prepare for classes like those.
exe163
I am currently a freshman at a LAC majoring in EE. I plan to go to graduate school after college either in physics, engineering or business. I want to get some experience over the summer.I applied to around ~5 REU programs in different fields of physics, I have already been rejected from two. Now I am a bit nervous.

I heard it is even harder to find a internship in tech areas with my class standing. (though I am a bit ahead compare to most people currently taking E&M and differential eq.)

Any advice on how to make the most out of my summer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im currently going into my 4th semester in Mechanical Engineering. So far I've been doing well. But for my summer break I was planning on studying for either the classes I'll be taking next semester(Dynamics and Mechanics of Materials) or doing advance algebra.

I realized that most of my engineering teachers derived proofs and concepts rather then just showing the equation on the board. Even on the tests and exams they would use variables and ask us to derive equation. This kind of stuff really help me a lot. So I wanted to know what I should do to prepare my self for classes like those. Are there any books that are more derive based that helps with algebra.

Not enough time to learn it all !

Ok , so I've finished my 3rd year undergraduate studies in physics and now I'm taking my degree. My problem is that ,looking back, I didn't even accomplish half of what I actually wanted to cover. There is so much more mathematics and even classical physics that I don't have under my belt. Because we only have a 3 year undergraduate study program, I was forced to race through the subjects, and important ones too (Electrodynamics, Classical Mechanics, undergrad. level mathematics) in a superficial way, there was just not enough time for it all. You would literally have to study Classical Electrodynamics in one year, same for Classical Mechanics.
Now I'm faced with the problem of having to go back and do them properly. I've got 2 years of graduate (we call it master) studies ahead of me, and I plan on catching up on what I should have studied in these 3 years.

Now for the questions:

1) During graduate / post graduate studies (2 and 3 years respectively) , will I also have time to study on these subjects, that were not covered as they should have been?

2) I can't seem to find a good study method. I frequently found myself not taking notes from a book, but rather copying out the essentials, something that didn't help me at all. I usually forgot what I wrote in about a week. Can you tell me your method of learning by yourselves?

so here I am again. this time i will take this place as ranting ground so i hope you guys won't mind. a little background: i am good in physics, mathematics and quite well in chem. i got the result that's probably top 15% in Malaysia (4A in stpm if you guys know, the A level equivalent). sorry if this sounded like I'm boasting =). Anyway, due to luck or chance, i went into a not so great university here in Malaysia. I better stop naming it, but it's suffice to mention that there's only a few great lecturers here (yes they're REALLY GREAT!). Anyway so i got an interest in theoretical physics and mathematics. However the situation here: lecturers are underpaid, society which is money driven, people comparing paycheck drove me round. There are people saying with my 'capability' i should've done something like actuarial science to earn the bucks, etc etc. Anything except being a lecturer/researcher in theoretical physics.

I would really like to listen to comments for those who are in the physics field. is it really so hard to get a job as theoretical physics? i know i probably won't be as rich as some actuaries. but is it really so bad? should i instead think of going to other fields?

in fact i even thought of going into other fields such as computational engineering, EE, applied physics (those sitting in the lab), alternative energy (solar cells? biopetrol?) etc.

my final year project was not close to any theoretical physics i would like (theoretical solid state phy). I seems to like stuff like relativity or qm. anyway the final year project was pretty discouraging and currently i even doubt if i really like theoretical physics (other than the numbers, geekiness and capability to understand nature in it's naked form). Can anyone from theoretical physics field enlighten me about what you guys are doing, and how exciting are they?

btw I'm a physics degree holder. i am not hoping any forumer to make a decision for me. i just hope to listen some comments and perhaps decision by you guys if you are in my position. thanks =)

I just got hired part time at a software company. I'm a student, and I'm not an experienced programmer, but I like doing it when I am not over my head, and I can see how people are drawn to the positive aspects of a career in software/computing.

The problem is that it's not always exciting, and when I feel like I'm just punching the clock I wonder what life would be like in the sciences. I've considered Computer Engineering as a major, based on a co-worker's recommendation (she says don't waste your time with engineering, just get your CS or CE degree and get to work). Before I wanted to be an engineer and work outside a lot and with my hands, now I can't decide between Physics, ME, or CE. I'm sure computing works its way into all of these fields, and I don't know if I could really just code for the rest of my life. It does seem to afford some good luxuries though, and the hours are a bit flexible. I've also considered trying to be an engineer working with oceanographers and other marine scientists. Any students/professionals with experience relevant to this "question"?.

Thanks

I want to do an REU in chemical engineering this summer (between soph and junior years). However, the applications don't open up for them until February. Should I apply for an internship before then, even though I don't want to go into industry (if I do, it would be R&D). I plan on getting at least a master's degree.

Also, how competitive are REUs at top schools (MIT, CalTech, UCLA, Duke, etc.) in the field of nano or biomolecular? I will have ~3.8 gpa and one year of research completed. If I don't have a shot at these, what are some other ones I can look into? Thanks.

Greetings gentlefriends. I have a bit of an odd situation, and I'm hoping to hear your opinions on the matter.

I am currently a 4th year medical student, and I fully intend to continue my career as a physician. I however feel as though, after working in the field of medicine for some time I will eventually want to pursue my other passion, which is physics.

Do you think a slightly greater than middle aged individual could/should pursue a degree later in life in the field of physics?

As an aside, could any of you suggest any sites where someone such as myself could study and learn physics on their own free time.

Thank you all for any advice you may have!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/15/angela-zhang-high-school-_n_1207177.html

This is a new of a girl who is said to have discovered a new nanoparticle that could help on the cure of cancer. They mentioned she was reading graduate level bioengineering papers since 15. Well, where she got those papers on first place?

Or: where one can go to see the latest papers on certain field? Is there a public site containing all those papers? If not, are there public sites containing all papers of a specific field (like bio-engineering, as cited)?

Hey all,

I am a new member and actually found this website doing research on mah wee little dilemma. I am currently workin on a BGS (dont hurt me!) with a focus on leadership (im scientastic, i promise!). I was workin on my BS in physics but had to move to help out some family. The issue is that there are no physics programs within a reasonable distance. I have found some options for an online BS so that is part 1: Is an online worth it, where will I get my lab experience, etc etc.

The other question is whether I can kick bum on my GRE, cover some pre-reqs and jump into a master's of science in physics of of that BGS (blinks as photon streams are launched at me), I am looking to finish off with a P.H.D. in either astrophys or nuclear phys ( i always say that then I start thinkin about medical phys, particle phys, quantum phys...sigh) ok so I will be going for a PHD in "some" form of physics lol (im too interested in all of it). I would like this option simply because I am 3 semesters from finishing that "one" degree (flinches), and it would be the quickest and least debt producing option. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks people!

Hello! I am new here and to be sincere i don't have any physics experience, but this seems to be the only serious forum that has a academic guidance section. To start i would like to excuse my possible grammar mistakes.

My problem is that i am not sure what i want to do in the future, i am constantly changing my ideas, likes and dislikes and i can't stand doing the same thing again and again. I like trying out new ways of doing things, gathering lots of information, fitting from one activity to another and my opinion is that thinking logically is what matters most.

My childhood was basically in front of the computer, i always liked learning how things work etc. I bought C++ programming books, Java and PHP but i didn't had the "call" that what i was doing was what i liked or what i had to do. I started high school on the computer science class but i didn't liked it, strict teachers with stupid metalities and useless theories. I dropped out and moved into arts high school because i found attracted by the graphic design. After 1 month of drawing I took their exams and passed with maximum score, looked pretty easy. I enjoyed drawing for the moment and the first year was interesting, new people, new stuff to do. At home i got into web design, i learned photoshop and illustrator and managed to do something with my programming experience from the past, i got into wordpress, javascript, jquery, css, html, html5, i enjoyed learning new things and reading blogs. After 2.5 years of doing that i managed to get some freelance jobs and the payment was pretty nice. But i didn't liked that, currently i am on my last year in high school and in exactly 9-10 months i have to know where i should go and what i should do but i don't, and this makes me anxious.

I like arts but not as i like programming, i would like to continue to get my bachelor degree in computer science but i don't know what exams i should take ( i assume math, physics .. etc). Even with the thought that "i would continue with programming" i am not sure what part of programming. As I was reading stuff on the web i bumped into an article about most demanded jobs in 2012, and the first one was software engineer. Seems interesting, the payment is good, and the stress seems to be ok. Now what? What university i should choose? I am from Romania, and i thought of getting the bachelor degree here and continue with the master degree in other country and maybe Ph. D too.

I really hope that some of you might give me some ideas, and maybe tell me what i should do to continue on this path. I am not very wealthy because romanians are selfish and steal from each other that's why our economy is down, i would really like to escape from this place and move somewhere else so with that said i would like an affordable university.

Thank you for your time reading this post, and i am waiting for your replies.

Related to Need some advice on what to do over the summer

What are some ideas for summer activities?

Some ideas for summer activities include outdoor sports, volunteering, traveling, attending summer camps or classes, and exploring new hobbies or interests.

How can I make the most of my summer break?

To make the most of your summer break, you can set goals for yourself, plan ahead and create a schedule, try new things, and spend quality time with friends and family.

What are the benefits of taking a summer internship?

A summer internship can provide valuable work experience, networking opportunities, and a chance to explore potential career paths. It can also improve your resume and increase your chances of future job opportunities.

What should I do if I have no plans for the summer?

If you have no plans for the summer, you can use this time to relax and recharge, learn new skills or languages, or find a part-time job or internship. You can also reach out to friends or family for potential activities or consider volunteering in your community.

How can I balance work and leisure during the summer?

To balance work and leisure during the summer, you can create a schedule and prioritize your tasks, set aside specific time for relaxation and self-care, and try to find a job or internship related to your interests or hobbies.