Need some books recommendation before college

In summary, before starting college, it is important to have a list of recommended books that will help prepare for the academic and personal challenges ahead. These books should cover a variety of topics, from time management and study skills to personal development and critical thinking. It is also helpful to seek recommendations from professors, mentors, and peers to find books that align with one's specific academic and personal goals. Building a strong foundation of knowledge and skills through these recommended books can greatly benefit students in their college journey.
Donello
Hi,So the last time I grabbed a college-level book was 2 and a half years ago.
In October/2016 I am starting my bachelor of science majoring in Electrical Engineering.
So I have plenty of time to recover the flexibility of my brain.

First of all, I need to get a fresh restart regarding the "Pre-Calculus" area.
I am considering the book "Pre-Calculus Workbook for Dummies, 2nd edition" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470923229/?tag=pfamazon01-20Do you think it is a good book to refresh my mind or there are better options out there? The thing is, there are some Pre-Calculus books consisting of more than 500 pages and honestly I find it kind of absurd ! Also, what are some Must-Read books before enrolling in an EE program ? Some have told me, the Art of Electronics is a Must. What do you think ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Donello said:
Some have told me, the Art of Electronics is a Must

I don't know about *must*, but I have heard good things about it, though I haven't read it myself (I am a Junior in electrical engineering). Your book choice would probably be good, but there are also plenty of precalculus resources online for free if you don't want to spend any money. The goal is to just be comfortable with algebraic manipulations, and for electrical (VERY important), you need to be very comfortable with trig. Know the trig functions very well.

You may also look into getting some hands-on experience with basic circuitry and programming by doing some microcontroller projects. You could buy an Arduino starter kit and learn online. You'll be doing plenty of programming in EE, and it's nice to have some exposure to basic hardware setup and programming beforehand, assuming you don't have that background (though it is not 100% essential).

axmls said:
I don't know about *must*, but I have heard good things about it, though I haven't read it myself (I am a Junior in electrical engineering). Your book choice would probably be good, but there are also plenty of precalculus resources online for free if you don't want to spend any money. The goal is to just be comfortable with algebraic manipulations, and for electrical (VERY important), you need to be very comfortable with trig. Know the trig functions very well.

You may also look into getting some hands-on experience with basic circuitry and programming by doing some microcontroller projects. You could buy an Arduino starter kit and learn online. You'll be doing plenty of programming in EE, and it's nice to have some exposure to basic hardware setup and programming beforehand, assuming you don't have that background (though it is not 100% essential).

Well, I have just bought the book "Python Programming, an introduction to Computer Science 2nd edition by John Zelle". The Technical university of Munich recommends that the student has some kind of programming skills before enrolling although it is not essential.

Related to Need some books recommendation before college

1. What types of books should I read before starting college?

The types of books you should read before starting college depend on your interests and academic goals. Some common recommendations include books on personal development, critical thinking, and time management. It can also be helpful to read books related to your intended major or career field.

2. How many books should I read before college?

There is no set number of books you should read before college. It is more important to focus on quality rather than quantity. Set a goal to read a few books that you find personally meaningful or relevant to your academic pursuits.

3. Can I read fiction books before college or should I only focus on non-fiction?

It is beneficial to read a mix of both fiction and non-fiction books before college. Fiction books can help improve your critical thinking and empathy skills, while non-fiction books can provide practical knowledge and insights.

4. Should I only read books related to my major before college?

While it can be helpful to read books related to your major or intended career, it is also important to read books that broaden your perspective and knowledge. Don't limit yourself to only one subject - explore different genres and topics.

5. Can I read books in a different language before college?

Yes, reading books in a different language can be beneficial before college. It can help improve your language skills and expose you to different cultures and perspectives. However, make sure to choose books that are appropriate for your language level.