Need some guidance - Graphing in Matlab

In summary, Need some guidance was looking for help with a flow map and was not able to find the equations defining the transition boundaries. After looking through some resources, he found that PDF refers to "Probability Density Function" and that he should be able to generate the same map using his own data if he has the equations.
MissUncertain
Need some guidance -- Graphing in Matlab

Hello, I am doing a project using Matlab. I need to generate this graph as shown in the attachment. For the gas and liquid superficial velocity, I am able to find the equation but as for the Flow pattern transition boundary equation(the darker lines), I am stuck. I have referred to Noghrehkar's journal and Ulbricht as well. Right now I am clueless of where else to look for the equation. I need to plot a flow map for a staggered bundle, cross flow shell and tube heat exchanger with vertical upright orientation.

Attachments

• 029104j.10.jpeg
    029104j.10.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
Need some guidance

Hello, I am doing a project using Matlab. I need to generate this graph as shown in the attachment. For the gas and liquid superficial velocity, I am able to find the equation but as for the Flow pattern transition boundary equation(the darker lines), I am stuck. I have referred to Noghrehkar's journal and Ulbricht as well. Right now I am clueless of where else to look for the equation. I need to plot a flow map for a staggered bundle, cross flow shell and tube heat exchanger with vertical upright orientation.

Sorry, no attachment provided.

see duplicate thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=721101

tiny-tim said:
see duplicate thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=721101

Two threads merged.

@MissUncertain -- please do not multiple post. That is agaist the PF rules.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the correction. Here is the link of the graph that i am trying to generate http://pressurevesseltech.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/data/Journals/JPVTAS/28412/029104j.10.jpeg

I have come across lots of similar flow regime maps in the book "Liquid-Vapor Phase Change Phenomena" by Van. P Carey. Not sure if it has that exact map but it might be of some use to you. Have to say I'm kind of surprised that the equations defining the transition boundaries are not avaliable in the authors papers. All the papers I have read regarding flow-mapping always present the relevant equations.

Likes 1 person
That's true. It's hard for me as I don't really have a good understanding on thermal fluid. Perhaps you can help to enlighten me here. According to the journal, Noghrehkar used PDF to generate the flow map. So if that's the case, will I still be able to generate the same graph using my own data? Because I wanted to generate the same map having the same transition boundaries but with different data input for comparison purposes. Thanks a lot sanka.

Not sure if I understand the question. You're saying Noghrehkar used PDF to generate the flow map? I presume he just exported the map from MATLAB in the .pdf file format. Otherwise, I don't know what "PDF" is referring to. In any case, you should be able to generate your own map, provided you obtain the equations that define the transition boundaries. I actually did some similar work, albeit for condensation flow mapping, and had no issues. Although, I had the relevant equations readily available. Also, it might take some practice to get the plotting correct in MATLAB but if you are an experienced user, you should be fine.

Sorry for the lack of info.. apparently.. PDF refers to "Probability Density Function" Yeah.. right now I am not able to proceed since i don't have the equation.. :( I'm so glad that you had done something similar. Will be looking for you for advice :)

Related to Need some guidance - Graphing in Matlab

1. What is Matlab and why is it used for graphing?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific research and engineering. It is particularly useful for graphing and visualizing data due to its powerful built-in functions and tools.

2. How do I create a basic graph in Matlab?

To create a basic graph in Matlab, you can use the plot() function. This function takes in two arrays: one for the x-values and one for the y-values. For example, plot(x,y) will plot the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2), etc. and connect them with a line.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my graph in Matlab?

Matlab offers a variety of customization options for graphs, such as changing the color, style, and size of the lines, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the axes. These can be done using functions like plot(), xlabel(), title(), etc. You can also use the interactive tools in the figure window to make changes to your graph.

4. Can I save my graph as an image or export it to another program?

Yes, Matlab allows you to save your graph as an image file (such as PNG or JPEG) using the saveas() function. You can also export the graph to other programs, such as Microsoft Excel or Word, by copying and pasting the graph or using the print() function.

5. Is there a way to plot multiple graphs on the same figure in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot multiple graphs on the same figure by using the hold on command. This will allow you to add multiple plots to the same figure, and you can use legend() to label each plot. Alternatively, you can use the subplot() function to create multiple axes within a single figure window.