Need some help on a spring cannon problem

In summary, to achieve the goal of hitting the target 25m away with a .8 kg ball, the ball must have an initial velocity of 13.16m/s.
TexasBB12

Homework Statement

Launch a .8 kg ball from a spring cannon in order to hit a target 25m away, the cannon fires at 45 degrees relative to the ground, what is the initial velocity necessary for the ball to make the distance. spring constant is 425 N/m.

Homework Equations

fspring=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to get started on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the velocity. Assume the velocity is 'v' at an angle of 45°. How would you find the range (or how far the mass travels) of the ball? What relevant equations will you need?

vx=vcos45 vy=vsin45
distance is 25m
The problem is set up so i can't use energy to solve for the velocity
the only equation i can really think of is vf2=vi2+2ax
would i solve for the y component using a=-9.8??

Last edited:
TexasBB12 said:
vx=vcos45 vy=vsin45
distance is 25m

If you consider vertical motion, when the ball hits the ground again, the displacement will be zero. So you can get the time of flight from that in terms of v.

Horizontally it travels 25m. So 25 = ?

25m=0+vi(t) +1/2axt2
so i have t=25/vcostheta, this is where i don't know how to solve for time

Last edited:
TexasBB12 said:
25m=0+vi(t) +1/2axt2
so i have t=25/vcostheta, this is where i don't know how to solve for time
You are confusing the vertical motion with horizontal motion.

Vertically when the ball reaches the 25m mark, the overall vertical displacement is zero.

So if you use s=vi-1/2gt2, what is t in terms of vi?

Horizontally, the horizontal distance is nothing but initial horizontal velocity x time.

Your horizontal distance is your range, 25m. So now you should be able to solve for vi

vertically t=vysintheta/4.9 so 25=vi- vysintheta/4.9??
I'm just really needing to figure this out as I'm on a time crunch

TexasBB12 said:
vertically t=vysintheta/4.9 so 25=vi- vysintheta/4.9??
I'm just really needing to figure this out as I'm on a time crunch

Ok you got vertically that t = visinθ/4.9. That gives you the time for the entire flight.

Now horizontally the distance the mass travels is 25m. Horizontal distance = initial horizontal velocity x t

What is your initial horizontal velocity?

vi=13.16??

TexasBB12 said:
vx=vcos45 vy=vsin45
distance is 25m

TexasBB12 said:
vi=13.16??

See the part in bold, those are your initial horizontal and vertical velocities respectively.

25=.707vi x (.707vi/4.9) ??

TexasBB12 said:
25=.707vi x (.707vi/4.9) ??

Right yes, but remember that your '0.707' is really 1/√2, for a more accurate answer.

So you can now find vi.

To get the how much the spring is compressed, think of when the spring is compressed, it has elastic potential energy and as it is released, all of that is converted entirely into kinetic energy.

Related to Need some help on a spring cannon problem

1. What is a spring cannon and how does it work?

A spring cannon is a mechanical device that uses the potential energy stored in a compressed spring to launch an object. The spring is attached to a platform or barrel, and when the spring is released, the energy is transferred to the object, propelling it forward.

2. What factors affect the distance a spring cannon can launch an object?

The distance a spring cannon can launch an object is affected by several factors, including the strength of the spring, the weight and shape of the object being launched, and the angle at which the cannon is pointed.

3. How can I calculate the velocity of an object launched by a spring cannon?

The velocity of an object launched by a spring cannon can be calculated using the formula v=√(2k/m), where v is the velocity, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when using a spring cannon?

When using a spring cannon, it is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses, to prevent any injuries from flying objects. It is also important to ensure that the cannon is pointed in a safe direction and that no one is standing in front of it when it is released.

5. How can I increase the power of a spring cannon?

The power of a spring cannon can be increased by using a stronger spring, increasing the weight of the object being launched, or using a longer barrel. However, it is important to note that increasing the power also increases the potential danger, so proper safety precautions should always be taken.