Need some help remembering (Amiga development environment related)

• Thread starter Boing3000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a developing environment installed on an Amiga back in the day after Commodore's demise. The vague souvenir is that it looked like a frontend on gcc that generated some kind of oriented object assembly, similar to .NET runtime and msil nowadays. The conversation also mentions a nice demo bundled within the environment and the desire to remember the name. The conversation then shifts to discussing a C compiler used on the Amiga and the use of an emulator. It is suggested to ask on an Amiga user's group website for more information. Finally, the conversation ends with a reference to a company that had written a 68000 jit compiler and a desire to find and re-install the environment.
Boing3000
Gold Member
I was trying to remember some days ago, of a developing environment I installed once my Amiga back in the day.
It was after Commodore demise, and I remember to have been quite impressed.
The vague souvenir I have, is its looked like a frontend on gcc that generate some kind of oriented object assembly, not unlike .NET runtime an msil nowadays.
There was some nice demo bundled within it, a a quite impressive graphic stack.

If only I could remember the name !

Any hint would be greatly welcomed... thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Boing3000 said:
I was trying to remember some days ago, of a developing environment I installed once my Amiga back in the day.
The vague souvenir I have, is its looked like a frontend on gcc that generate some kind of oriented object assembly, not unlike .NET runtime an msil nowadays.

I had an Amiga back around '86. I did some C development on it, using an 8086 C compiler together with emulation software running on a 5 1/4" floppy (no hard drive on my machine). It was painfully slow, taking at least a minute to compile and the simplest C programs.

If you were seeing assembly code in your dev environment, I'm fairly certain that what you were seeing was Motorola 68000 op codes, as the underlying processor on the Amiga was the Motorola 68000 (and on later models, the Motorola 68032, I believe).

Boing3000 said:

You're probably better off asking this question on an Amiga user's group website.

This wiki article might give you some tips about the various Amiga user's groups still out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga

SteamKing said:
You're probably better off asking this question on an Amiga user's group website.

This wiki article might give you some tips about the various Amiga user's groups still out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga
A good night sleep have done the trick. It was called Elate / Taos
Thanks !

Mark44 said:
I had an Amiga back around '86. I did some C development on it, using an 8086 C compiler together with emulation software running on a 5 1/4" floppy (no hard drive on my machine). It was painfully slow, taking at least a minute to compile and the simplest C programs.
You should have used the ram: disk :wink: Anyway why bothering using an emulator ?

Mark44 said:
If you were seeing assembly code in your dev environment, I'm fairly certain that what you were seeing was Motorola 68000 op codes, as the underlying processor on the Amiga was the Motorola 68000 (and on later models, the Motorola 68032, I believe).
No. I was seeing exactly this
term.jpg

Those guys had written the 68000 jit compiler, because their run time had trouble finding a hardware host. The Amiga was a dead man walking, but with enough people interested in genuinely genius technology.
I remember one of their may "talking point" was that they had a java byte code interpreter that would translate it into their VPASM which was actually running faster on their runtime that on a java's one...

Anyway, now I am going to find it an re-install it. It's nostalgia time !:biggrin:

Thank you.

Boing3000 said:
You should have used the ram: disk :wink: Anyway why bothering using an emulator ?
In fact, I think I was using a RAM disk. I was using an emulator because I was using a C compiler that ran on PC's.
Boing3000 said:
No. I was seeing exactly this
term.jpg
What you are showing in the screen shot above is not assembly code - this is a listing of files in a directory. The terminal you opened is running Unix or more likely, the Amiga version of Unix. The "ls" command displays a list of files in a directory
Boing3000 said:
Those guys had written the 68000 jit compiler, because their run time had trouble finding a hardware host. The Amiga was a dead man walking, but with enough people interested in genuinely genius technology.
I remember one of their may "talking point" was that they had a java byte code interpreter that would translate it into their VPASM which was actually running faster on their runtime that on a java's one...

Anyway, now I am going to find it an re-install it. It's nostalgia time !:biggrin:

Thank you.

Mark44 said:
In fact, I think I was using a RAM disk. I was using an emulator because I was using a C compiler that ran on PC's
Of course. I meant at least the Amiga was already abler to emulate a PC. Now, it is the other way round :cry:
I suppose you only had this C compiler. A native one would have made you very happy !

Mark44 said:
What you are showing in the screen shot above is not assembly code - this is a listing of files in a directory. The terminal you opened is running Unix or more likely, the Amiga version of Unix. The "ls" command displays a list of files in a directory
I never said it was assembly. It is the console of that SDK with some APP running. It was already cross platform at the time, I had the Amiga version.
Here is some generic description if you like. The virtual assembly (VP2 I think) looked like this.
vp.jpg

This morning I read this nice "insider" story about the whereabouts of this company.
But I can't find the SDK online. Maybe the CD is rotting somewhere in my basement. I'll try to dig it out.

FAQ: Need some help remembering (Amiga development environment related)

1. What is an Amiga development environment?

An Amiga development environment is a set of tools and resources used for creating software for the Amiga computer platform. It includes programming languages, compilers, libraries, and other utilities necessary for developing and testing software.

2. What programming languages can be used in Amiga development?

Some of the commonly used programming languages in Amiga development include C, C++, Assembly, and Prolog. However, other languages such as Pascal, BASIC, and even Java can also be used with the appropriate development tools.

3. What is the difference between the Amiga operating system (AmigaOS) and the development environment?

The Amiga operating system (AmigaOS) is the core software that manages the hardware and provides a user interface for the Amiga computer. The development environment, on the other hand, is a separate set of tools used for creating software that runs on the AmigaOS.

4. Do I need special hardware to use the Amiga development environment?

No, you do not need any special hardware to use the Amiga development environment. Most modern Amiga emulators and cross-development tools allow you to develop software for the Amiga platform on a regular computer. However, having access to an actual Amiga computer can be beneficial for testing and debugging purposes.

5. Where can I find resources and support for Amiga development?

There are many online communities and forums dedicated to Amiga development where developers can share knowledge, ask for help, and find resources. Additionally, there are also books, tutorials, and documentation available to help you get started with Amiga development.

Back