Need some info and help about torque

• Thread starter boohillie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of strain gauges on a hollow steel shaft to measure torque. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the total bridge output and actual strain, as well as determine breaking points for a certain number of cycles. They mention needing to know specific details such as gauge factor and excitation voltage, and suggest looking into Wheatstone bridges and S-N curves for more information.
boohillie
First of all, let me tell you I don't know much about physics, engineering etc. I know a little bit of math, through Calculus. I also know a little bit about Electronics. Anyways on to the questions!

Let's say I have a hollow steel shaft. Strain gages have been applied for measuring torque. Now if I know the Zero load microstrain, Gage Factor, Inner and Outer Diameter of the shaft, Gage resistances.

Am I able to calclulate and estimate what my total bridge output, and Actual strain is at a certain clockwise torque in NM applied to the shaft. How can I determine breaking points for X amount of cycles.

These questions may be a little vague, and for that I'm sorry. I'm trying to figure out how a piece of software I have, calculates this type of information.
Any help or information about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
As long as you know what all of the particulars are like gauge factor, excitation voltage, etc...you can indeed calculate the estimated output assuming you are familiar with basic mechanics and how to do the caluclations for pure torsion.

As a start, take a look here for a nice primer on Wheatstone bridges.
http://www.omega.com/literature/transactions/volume3/strain2.html

You can break this down into a few subproblems:

1. Converting electrical signals from the strain gauges into measurements of strain. That depends mainly on the type of strain gauge, not on what the gauge is attached to.

2. Converting the individual strain measrements from a rosette of strain gauges (or whatever type of gauge you used) into the shear strain in the shaft. The software might combine this with the previous step.

3. Converting the strain to stress in the shaft and hence to a torque. You need the material properties (the shear modulus of elasticity at the relevant temperature) as well as the geometry.

4. Converting the stress (presumably it's not a constant stress, since you said " the number of cycles") into a life to failure. Basically you compare your stress value against a curve fitted to test measurements of the material behaviour at different stress levels. If you have different stresses in the shaft at different operating conditions, you need to combine the amounts of "damage" done at the different stress levels to estimate the time to failure.

For 1, most likely see the technical data sheets for your particular strain gauges.

For 2 and 3, see any "strength of materials" or "mechanical engineering 101" type of text.

For 4, try Googling "S-N curves" and "Miners Law".

Related to Need some info and help about torque

What is torque and how is it measured?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N⋅m) or pound-feet (lb⋅ft).

How does torque differ from force?

Torque and force are related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a rotational force. Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect torque?

The amount of torque produced by an object depends on the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. The greater the force applied and the longer the lever arm, the greater the torque.

How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque plays a crucial role in many everyday objects and machines, such as cars, bikes, and tools. It is also essential in industrial applications, such as construction, manufacturing, and engineering.

What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, while negative torque causes it to rotate in a clockwise direction. The direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the applied force and the axis of rotation.