Need to find the equivalence point volume from the first derivative graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of titrating 0.2M NaOH with an unknown concentration of acetic acid in a lab. The student used Excel to graph the first derivative of the data and is wondering if the trend lines should go through the highest points. The professor explains that in a perfect world, the equivalence point would have the highest slope, but due to measurement inaccuracies, it may not correspond exactly to the highest point. The student agrees and concludes that the equivalence point volume is likely around 19.97 mL.
crimsonn

Homework Statement

This was done in a lab, we titrated 0.2M NaOH with an unknown concentration of acetic acid.
I've used excel to graph my first derivative of the data.

Homework Equations

(change in pH)/(Change in volume)

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor talked about drawing two trend lines, one from the left and the other from the right, and wherever they intersected, would be the equivalence volume. I'm just wondering if My trend lines should go through those two points at the top? I remember him saying not to force the lines to intersect at the highest point. But isn't it true that the equivalence point will have the largest slope?

Anyway, to me, the equivalence point volume looks to be around 19.9 mL

Did I do this right?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 3.21.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 3.21.23 PM.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
crimsonn said:
My professor talked about drawing two trend lines, one from the left and the other from the right, and wherever they intersected, would be the equivalence volume. I'm just wondering if My trend lines should go through those two points at the top? I remember him saying not to force the lines to intersect at the highest point. But isn't it true that the equivalence point will have the largest slope?
In a perfect world, the equivalence point would have the highest slope. But since all your measurements have some degree of inaccuracy (and slope measurements in particular can be very inaccurate), the equivalence point might not correspond exactly to your highest slope point. Don't force your lines to go right through the top points, but don't ignore them. It would be best if you can choose trend lines that come fairly close to all the points.

Anyway, to me, the equivalence point volume looks to be around 19.9 mL

Did I do this right?
I would think somewhat to the right of 19.9, but I understand how you got that. I think you have the right idea.

Alright, thank you -- the part about whether to draw them through the top two points was the most confusing. I printed it out and drew the trend lines, and I agree that's its more like 19.97mL.

FAQ: Need to find the equivalence point volume from the first derivative graph?

1. What is an equivalence point volume?

An equivalence point volume is the point at which the amount of titrant added to a solution is chemically equivalent to the amount of analyte present in the solution. This means that the reaction between the two substances is complete, and the solution is neutral.

2. How is the equivalence point volume determined from the first derivative graph?

The equivalence point volume can be found by locating the point on the first derivative graph where the slope of the curve is zero. This indicates that the rate of change of the titration curve has reached a maximum, which corresponds to the equivalence point.

3. Why is it important to find the equivalence point volume?

Finding the equivalence point volume is important because it allows for accurate determination of the concentration of the analyte in a solution. It also helps in determining the stoichiometry of the reaction and identifying the type of reaction that is occurring.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the equivalence point volume?

The accuracy of determining the equivalence point volume can be affected by several factors, including human error in reading the graph, instrumental error, and incomplete or slow reaction between the titrant and analyte. It is important to take multiple readings and average them to minimize the impact of these factors.

5. Are there different methods for finding the equivalence point volume?

Yes, there are multiple methods for finding the equivalence point volume, including visual methods, mathematical methods, and automated titration systems. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method may depend on the specific experiment and equipment available.

Back