Need your help with 7 segment display using 4026 and NE555

• Thread starter ranai
  • Start date
In summary, the IC4026 has a data sheet that explains how to reset the timer, and I changed the circuit so I could reset and pause it. I also want to be able to hide the count when I push a button, but still have it count until I let go of the button. I tried shorting the supply to ground, but I got yellow squares. That might mean there is an error. I also want to be able to create a short circuit between power supply and ground without damaging the power supply.
ranai
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello,
I have to make a circuit using IC4026 and 555 timer with 3 switches : one that pauses the counting, one that hides it and one that resets it. I'm having problems with the last two.
I have joined a picture of my circuit on proteus isis.
I'll be very grateful if you could help me.

Attachments

• 7segments4026NE555.PNG
    7segments4026NE555.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
ranai said:
I'm having problems with the last two.
What did you try so far, where did you get stuck?

The IC should have some data sheet explaining how to reset the counter.

I modified the circuit, now I can pause and reset the counting.
what I would like to do is hide it when you push a button but still counts until you let go of the button

Attachments

• 7segPauseReset.PNG
    7segPauseReset.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:
mfb said:
What did you try so far, where did you get stuck?

The IC should have some data sheet explaining how to reset the counter.

I changed the circuit, now I can reset and pause the citcuit .
What I would like to do is hide the count when I push a button while it still goes on until I let go of the button then the display is on again.
thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 7segPauseReset.PNG
    7segPauseReset.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 778
That's what pin 3 DEI(display enable input) is for. A low at this input turns off the display output.

Janus said:
That's what pin 3 DEI(display enable input) is for. A low at this input turns off the display output.
hello jamus,
I tried doing that by shorting the supply to ground but I get yellow squares does that mean that there is an error ?

Attachments

• error3.PNG
    error3.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 883
Why do you want to create a short circuit between power supply and ground?
Potentially damaging your power supply should give an error, indeed.
What does that have to do with the DEI input?

Why would you try pulling the supply to ground? You only need to pull pin three to ground.(without effecting the rest of the circuit).

Yes you are right.
Thank you.

I added a switch between pin 3 U2 and the supply.
So the display is on when the we push the switch and it is off when youlet go of the switch.
Is there any way without using logic gate NOT to have it display normaly and to turn off the display output when we push the button ?

Attachments

• PauseResetHide.PNG
    PauseResetHide.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 573
ranai said:
I added a switch between pin 3 U2 and the supply.
So the display is on when the we push the switch and it is off when youlet go of the switch.
Is there any way without using logic gate NOT to have it display normaly and to turn off the display output when we push the button ?

Connect a resistor between supply and pin three and your switch between pin three and ground. With the button released, the pin is pulled high. When the button is pushed, it is pulled low, but the resistor prevents the supply from being shorted.

Janus said:
Connect a resistor between supply and pin three and your switch between pin three and ground. With the button released, the pin is pulled high. When the button is pushed, it is pulled low, but the resistor prevents the supply from being shorted.
Thank you very much Janus !

FAQ: Need your help with 7 segment display using 4026 and NE555

1. What is a 7 segment display?

A 7 segment display is a type of electronic display device that is commonly used to represent numbers, letters, and other characters. It consists of seven individual segments arranged in the shape of a figure-eight, with each segment capable of being lit up to form different characters.

2. What is the purpose of using a 4026 chip in a 7 segment display?

The 4026 chip is a decade counter and decoder that is specifically designed to drive a 7 segment display. It takes an input signal and converts it into a binary-coded decimal (BCD) output, which can then be used to light up specific segments on the display to form the desired character.

3. How does the NE555 timer factor into the 7 segment display circuit?

The NE555 timer is used to provide the clock signal for the 4026 chip. This clock signal determines how quickly the display cycles through the different numbers or characters. By adjusting the timer's frequency, you can control the speed at which the display changes.

4. Can I control multiple 7 segment displays using the same circuit?

Yes, you can control multiple 7 segment displays using a single 4026 chip and NE555 timer. However, you may need to add additional components such as transistors or shift registers to ensure that the displays are properly powered and controlled.

5. What are some common troubleshooting tips for a 7 segment display using 4026 and NE555?

If your display is not working properly, some common troubleshooting tips include checking all connections for loose or incorrect wiring, making sure the chip and timer are receiving the correct power supply, and ensuring that the input signal is appropriate for the display. You may also need to adjust the timer's frequency or replace the components if they are damaged.