Needed Power Output on an Incline

In summary, the problem involves a cyclist coasting down a 7 degree hill at a steady speed of 5 m/s, with a total mass of 75 kg. To climb the same hill at the same speed, the cyclist's power output would need to be approximately 448 W. However, the question of whether this is the correct answer is raised, as the cyclist would need an output of 3675 W on flat ground according to another calculation.
akfortyseven

Homework Statement

A bicyclist coasts down a 7 degree hill at a steady speed of 5 m/s. Assuming the total mass of 75 kg, what must be the cyclist's power output to climb the same hill at the same speed

Homework Equations

power = force * distance / time
force of gravity = mass * gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance, I just did 75 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 5 m * sin(7 degrees) / 1 s, which equaled to about 448 W
But the problem is, if the cyclist was on flat ground, the he/she would need an output of 3675 W, which is far greater 448 W
So then I tried 83 degrees since 90-7=83
When I replaced 7 degrees with 83, I got an output of about 3648 W, which sounds more reasonable to me.
Which answer is right? If neither of them are, what can help me to get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that your first answer is correct. I'm not sure where your pulling the 3675W on the flat from.

Hootenanny said:
I would say that your first answer is correct. I'm not sure where your pulling the 3675W on the flat from.

I got it from the situation if the cyclist was going at 5 m/s on flat ground with no incline

Related to Needed Power Output on an Incline

1. How is the needed power output on an incline calculated?

The needed power output on an incline is calculated using the formula P = mgh/t, where P is power, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the incline, and t is the time it takes to travel up the incline.

2. Does an incline affect the power output needed to move an object?

Yes, an incline does affect the power output needed to move an object. As the incline increases, the distance and height that the object needs to travel also increases, resulting in a higher power output needed to overcome the gravitational force.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the needed power output?

The relationship between the angle of the incline and the needed power output is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the needed power output also increases.

4. Can the needed power output on an incline be reduced?

Yes, the needed power output on an incline can be reduced by increasing the angle of the incline. This is because a steeper incline requires less horizontal force to move an object up, resulting in a lower power output needed.

5. How does friction affect the needed power output on an incline?

Friction can have a significant impact on the needed power output on an incline. With increased friction, more power is needed to overcome the resistance and move the object up the incline. This is why reducing friction, such as by using lubricants, can help decrease the needed power output.