Negative derivative instead of positive

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the formula for the volume of a spherical segment and how it relates to the volume of a container being filled. The conversation also touches on the differentiation of the formula and the use of Pythagoras' theorem to derive the formula.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap2.jpg

Homework Equations

Differential of a product:
$$d(uv)=u\cdot dv+v\cdot du$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$dV=\pi \left[ -\frac{1}{x}x^2+2x\left(-\frac{x}{3} \right) \right]dx=-\pi x^2dx$$
If dx>0 dV<0, it's wrong, the volume increases

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 209459

Homework Equations

Differential of a product:
$$d(uv)=u\cdot dv+v\cdot du$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$dV=\pi \left[ -\frac{1}{x}x^2+2x\left(-\frac{x}{3} \right) \right]dx=-\pi x^2dx$$
If dx>0 dV<0, it's wrong, the volume increases
I think you've made a mistake in your differentiation. And then, what are the relevant values of depth? Can there be more than 10 inches?

$$V=\pi\left( 10x^2-\frac{1}{3}x^3 \right)~\rightarrow~V'=\pi x (20-x)$$
When, for example, x=8 ⇒ V=469⅓π, x=2 ⇒ V=37⅓π
So x is measured from the bottom and it can't pass 10
But now the derivative is positive and i think it's fine.

Karol said:
$$V=\pi\left( 10x^2-\frac{1}{3}x^3 \right)~\rightarrow~V'=\pi x (20-x)$$
When, for example, x=8 ⇒ V=469⅓π, x=2 ⇒ V=37⅓π
So x is measured from the bottom and it can't pass 10
But now the derivative is positive and i think it's fine.
Yes, it's a (bottom opened) parabola. This makes sense, as it is the formula of the volume of a sphere, and if you could go above the equator, the volume will decrease again compared to the height or depth.

fresh_42 said:
This makes sense, as it is the formula of the volume of a sphere, and if you could go above the equator, the volume will decrease again compared to the height or depth.
Actually, the volume will continue to increase (not decrease) as the container is filled, but will do so at a decreasing rate. I think I understand what you meant, but the words you chose didn't match the situation.

Likes fresh_42
The volume of a sphere is ##~V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3## and we are given ##~V=\pi\left( 10x^2-\frac{1}{3}x^3 \right)##
Is the term 10x2 and the ⅓x3 instead of 4/3x3 because the bowl is under the equator?
How do i know to calculate that?

Karol said:
The volume of a sphere is ##~V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3## and we are given ##~V=\pi\left( 10x^2-\frac{1}{3}x^3 \right)##
Is the term 10x2 and the ⅓x3 instead of 4/3x3 because the bowl is under the equator?
How do i know to calculate that?
The volume of what's in the bowl is ##\displaystyle V = \frac{\pi\, x^2}{3}(3r-x)##

How to translate from one to another?
The formula in Wikipedia ##~V=\frac{\pi h}{6}(3a^2+h^2)=\frac{\pi x}{6}(3a^2+x^2)##
$$a^2+(r-x)^2=r^2~\rightarrow~r=\frac{a^2+x^2}{2x}$$
How did you get to the formula:
$$\displaystyle V = \frac{\pi\, x^2}{3}(3r-x)$$

I didn't bother a lot about the proof of this formula. I simply changed languages on Wiki and took the one that fitted best. As we're in the advanced section here, you could try and solve the corresponding integral. It can also be found on this other page, but I'm too lazy to copy and translate it (and risk typos). I'm sure if you google "spherical segment" you will find plenty of proofs.

fresh_42 said:
you could try and solve the corresponding integral. It can also be found on this other page,
Which page, in this site?
Where is the integral?
Thank you fresh_42

Karol said:
Which page, in this site?
Where is the integral?
With Pythagoras you can find the equation for the circle segment above the x-axis for the shape of the cap, then take the integral for the volume of rotational bodies and you'll get the formula. You could switch languages by yourself, depending on which language you understand. But it's math, so it isn't really needed to understand everything. However, it would be a good and not too difficult exercise to derive the formula for practice.

FAQ: Negative derivative instead of positive

1. What is a negative derivative?

A negative derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of decrease or decrease in a function. It is denoted by a negative sign (-) and indicates that the function is decreasing at a particular point.

2. Why do we sometimes see a negative derivative instead of a positive one?

A negative derivative can occur when a function is decreasing instead of increasing. This can happen when the slope of the function is negative, meaning that as the x-values increase, the y-values decrease.

3. What does a negative derivative tell us about a function?

A negative derivative tells us that the function is decreasing at a particular point. This can be useful in determining the maximum or minimum points of a function, as well as the direction of change of the function.

4. Can a function have both negative and positive derivatives?

Yes, a function can have both negative and positive derivatives at different points. This means that the function is decreasing at some points and increasing at others.

5. How can we visually represent a negative derivative?

A negative derivative can be represented on a graph as a downward slope or a curve that is decreasing from left to right. It can also be represented by a negative y-value at a given x-point.

Back