Negative Exponents: Exploring & Reasoning

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative exponents in math and how to get rid of them. The idea is to move the number with the negative exponent to the other side of the fraction, but some teachers use the concept of an imaginary "1" multiplied to the fraction to explain it. However, this may make the problem seem more complicated. It is possible to apply this concept to any equation with a negative exponent, and the key is to remember that 7^0 = 1 and 7^-a = 1/7^a.
StupidGenius
Recently in class (11 math) we explored exponents in negatives. My teacher placed a question on the board and it said

7*1/7^-7
( 7 times 1 over 7 to the power of -7 )

She said that in order to get rid of a negative, we must imagine that there is an imaginary "1" multipliying the fraction.

1/7^-7 *1

Then we must "flip" the fraction around to eliminate the negative exponent. so it will be

7*1*7^7/1

I am a type of person to want to to know why and how stuff are done, especially in the subject of math. I want to know the reasoning behind. Unfortunately i couldn't ask her that day, and then the weekend came and the problem still remains.
So now i know how to get ride of the negative exponent, but will someone explain to me where the imaginary"1" came from and will i be able to do this in any equation where a negative exponent is present?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Personally, I have never heard of the "imaginary one" but from how your teacher explained it, I think it makes the whole problem a lot harder than necessary. So here's my explanation: whenever a number is to a negative exponent, all you have to do is move it to the other side of the fraction to get rid of the negative. If the negative exponent is on the denominator, move it to the numerator and vice versa.
Ex. (2^5)/(3^-4) = (2^5)(3^4)
All I did was move 3^-4 from the denominator to the numerator, thus making it's negative exponent positive.

Makes sense, but that "1" still exists in the fraction if (2^5)(3^4)/1. But I see how it is sort of irrelevant. Thank you, now what if the number was not in a fraction and was just simply;
(7^-3)
will this be correct? 1/(7^3)

7^-3 = 1/7^3, yes.

The basic idea behind this is the equation

[tex]7^a 7^b = 7^{a+b} [/tex]​

We know this is true for a and b both positive integers, so we'd like to make it true for other values too.

Put b=0 and the only solution is [itex]7^0 = 1[/itex]. Then put b=-a to see that

[tex]7^{-a} = \frac{7^0}{7^a} = \frac{1}{7^a}[/tex]​

FAQ: Negative Exponents: Exploring & Reasoning

1. What are negative exponents?

Negative exponents represent the reciprocal of a number raised to a positive exponent. For example, 2-3 is equivalent to 1/(23), which is equal to 1/8.

2. How do you simplify expressions with negative exponents?

To simplify expressions with negative exponents, you can apply the rule that a-n = 1/an. This means that you can move a term with a negative exponent from the numerator to the denominator, or vice versa, by changing the sign of the exponent.

3. Why are negative exponents important?

Negative exponents are important because they allow us to represent numbers that are very large or very small in a more convenient way. For example, instead of writing out 0.00000001, we can use negative exponents and write 10-8.

4. Can negative exponents be fractions or decimals?

Yes, negative exponents can be fractions or decimals. For example, 2-0.5 is equivalent to 1/√2, and 3-1.25 is equivalent to 1/35/4.

5. How do negative exponents relate to scientific notation?

Negative exponents are commonly used in scientific notation to represent very small numbers. In scientific notation, a number is written in the form a x 10n, where a is a number between 1 and 10, and n is an exponent that indicates how many times the decimal point must be moved to get the original number. If n is negative, it means that the original number is less than 1 and the decimal point must be moved to the left.