Negative Resistance in Resonant Tunneling

In summary, the concept of negative resistance is observed in a Resonant Tunneling Diode when the current increases and the voltage decreases. This is due to the difference between static and differential resistance. While the amplitude of the current increases over time, it does not violate energy conservation as it cannot continue indefinitely. This decrease in voltage may indicate that the electrons in the current are accelerating.
NanoControl
Hi,

I am a student who's learning about quantum mechanics. I was reading about the RTD (Resonant tunneling diode) and I got the general idea. However, I was looking at a I vs V graph and came up with a question. Since Resistance = V/I, the inverse slope of the I vs V graph has to be the resistance. (for a simple model of RTD, it had a giant peak). Now, the problem is, for the rising part of the peak, I understand, but what is the physical interpretation of the falling part of the peak? (the negative resistance) Does that simply mean the flow of the electron is greater?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Negative Resistance simply applies in a situation where an increased current causes a decreased voltage. Remember there is STATIC resistance, where R=V/I and there is a very similar Differential resistance, which is R=dV/dI, and if you look at your graphs, while dV/dI is clearly negative,V/I remains positive, as both values are positive.

Negative resistance causes and increasing amplitude over time, however, it doesn't violate energy conservation, because we can't get this amplification to go on forever, and the energy that goes into it must obviously some from something. I believe it does mean that the electrons in the current are speeding up.

Related to Negative Resistance in Resonant Tunneling

1. What is negative resistance in resonant tunneling?

Negative resistance in resonant tunneling refers to a phenomenon where the current flowing through a device decreases as the voltage across it increases. This is the opposite behavior of what is typically observed in most electronic devices.

2. How is negative resistance in resonant tunneling achieved?

Negative resistance in resonant tunneling is achieved by creating a specific structure known as a resonant tunneling diode (RTD). This structure is made up of two quantum wells separated by a thin barrier. When an external voltage is applied, the electrons can tunnel through the barrier and create a negative resistance effect.

3. What are the applications of negative resistance in resonant tunneling?

One of the main applications of negative resistance in resonant tunneling is in high-frequency oscillators and amplifiers. The negative resistance behavior of RTDs allows for the creation of stable and efficient oscillators at high frequencies. RTDs also have potential applications in quantum computing and sensing.

4. What are the challenges in utilizing negative resistance in resonant tunneling?

One of the main challenges in utilizing negative resistance in resonant tunneling is creating a stable and reliable RTD structure. The fabrication process must be very precise to ensure the proper alignment and thickness of the quantum wells and barrier. Additionally, the operating conditions, such as temperature and voltage, must be carefully controlled to maintain the desired negative resistance behavior.

5. How does negative resistance in resonant tunneling differ from other types of negative resistance?

Negative resistance in resonant tunneling is a unique form of negative resistance that is only observed in specific structures such as RTDs. Other types of negative resistance, such as in semiconductor materials, are typically achieved through the doping or geometry of the device. Additionally, the negative resistance in resonant tunneling is highly dependent on the energy levels of the quantum wells and barrier, while other types of negative resistance may have different underlying mechanisms.