Negative scale factor RW metric with scalar field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the scale factor in a Robertson Walker Metric with a scalar field and a Lagrange multiplier. The conversation includes the derivation of the action and the equations of motion, as well as a discussion of the physical interpretation of a negative scale factor. The conclusion is that there may be an error in the derivation and further investigation is needed.
Salah93

Homework Statement

The aim is to find a solution for the scale factor in a Robertson Walker Metric with a scalar field and a Lagrange multiplier.

Homework Equations

I have this action

[tex]S=-\frac{1}{2}\int d^{4}x\sqrt{-g}[R(g_{\mu\nu})+\lambda(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial_{\nu}\phi-1)+L_{m}][/tex]

In conformal for Robertson Walker metric [tex]ds^{2}=a^{2}(\eta)(d\eta^{2}-\delta_{ij}dx^{i}dx^{j})[/tex]

where [tex]\phi[/tex] is a scalar field (that depends only on conformal time ), [tex]\lambda[/tex] a Lagrange multiplier, [tex]L_m[/tex] lagrangian matter that I set to 0 and R the Ricci Scalar.So the Ricci Scalar is [tex]R=-6\frac{a''}{a^{3}}[/tex] ()' is derivative with respect to conformal time (I found the value from the value that one finds for R from universal proper time, that is [tex]R=-6(\frac{\ddot a}{a}+\frac{\dot a^2}{a^2})[/tex] )

So the action is

[tex]S=-\frac{1}{2}\int d^{4}xa^{4}[-6\frac{a''}{a^{3}}+\lambda(a^{-2}\eta^{00}\partial_{0}\phi\partial_{0}\phi-1)]=-\frac{1}{2}lim_{V\rightarrow\infty}V\int d\eta[-6\frac{a''}{a^{3}}+\lambda(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)]a^{4}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the various [tex]L=L_{V}=-\frac{1}{2}V[-6\frac{a''}{a^{3}}+\lambda(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)]a^{4}[/tex] so because there is only the multiplicative factor V they all lead to the same eq. of motion. So I can omit the limit and take V=1. So the action is now

[tex]S=-\frac{1}{2}\int d\eta[-6\frac{a''}{a^{3}}+\lambda(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)]a^{4}=-\frac{1}{2}\int d\eta[-6aa^{''}+\lambda a^{4}(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)][/tex]

And without considering surface elements the action become
[tex]S=-\frac{1}{2}\int d\eta[6a'^{2}+\lambda a^{4}(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)][/tex]

Now I want to find eq. of motion:

Variation w.r.t a gives:
[tex]6a''-\frac{1}{2}[\frac{\partial(\lambda a^{4})}{\partial a}(a^{-2}\phi'^{2}-1)-a\lambda\phi'^{2}2]=0[/tex]

W.r.t [tex]\lambda[/tex]:
[tex]\frac{\phi^{'2}}{a^{2}}-1=0\rightarrow\phi'^{2}=a^{2}[/tex]

W.r.t [tex]\phi[/tex]:
[tex]\frac{d}{d\eta}(2\phi'\lambda a^{2})=0[/tex]

[tex]\phi'\lambda a^{2}=\lambda a^{3}=\eta+K\rightarrow\lambda=\frac{\eta+K}{a^{3}}[/tex]
K is a real constantAnd so in the end I have:

[tex]6a^{''}+\eta+K=0[/tex]

Integrating

[tex]a'(\eta)=-\frac{\eta^{2}}{12}-\frac{K\eta}{6}+C[/tex]

And again:

[tex]a(\eta)=-\frac{\eta^{3}}{36}-\frac{K\eta^{2}}{12}+C\eta+B[/tex]

B and C real constants.

Now, if [tex]\eta[/tex] goes to [tex]+\infty[/tex] is a problem because the scale factor becomes negative. And so the only possibility for this case in a flat Robertson Walker metric is that I have(setting B=0) [tex]a(\eta)=0[/tex] and then after a finite interval again [tex]a(\eta)=0[/tex] becuase then it will be negative and I think there isn't a physical meaning for negative scale factor. So, where are the errors? Because I can't interpret well this result.
If I imagine it as a 1-D motion of a particle I can study without any problems the system. But here I am studying the evolution of a particular case of the universe. How can I interpret negative scale factor(if all above is correct)?

I hope that the question is written well. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Can at least someone check if the variation of the action w.r.t a is correct?

Ok, I think that in general what I did is right. But I made a big mistake!

[tex]\frac{d}{d\eta}(2a^3\lambda)=0[/tex] gives [tex]a^3\lambda=A[/tex] that is obvoius! A is a constant

And then I obtain [tex]a(\eta)=-\frac{A}{6}\eta^2+B\eta+C[/tex]. B and C are real constants.

And how can I get the value of the constant A? If A is positive there is a good behaviour at [tex]\eta[/tex] that goes to +infinity. (and the universe expands for ever). But for A negative the scale factor is negative! So I can't give a physical interpretation for it!

Related to Negative scale factor RW metric with scalar field

1. What is a negative scale factor RW metric?

A negative scale factor RW metric is a mathematical model used in general relativity to describe the geometry of the universe. It is a type of metric that describes the curvature of spacetime and how distances and time intervals change as objects move through the universe.

2. What is a scalar field in the context of this metric?

A scalar field is a mathematical quantity that assigns a value to every point in space and time. In the context of this metric, it represents a physical quantity, such as energy or mass, that is uniformly distributed throughout the universe.

3. What is the significance of a negative scale factor in this metric?

The negative scale factor in this metric represents a universe that is undergoing accelerated expansion. This is in contrast to a positive scale factor, which would indicate a universe that is either expanding at a constant rate or contracting.

4. How is this metric used to study the expansion of the universe?

This metric is used in general relativity to model the behavior of the universe and study its expansion. By analyzing the equations and parameters of the metric, scientists can make predictions about the past and future evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any observations or evidence that support the use of this metric?

Yes, there is observational evidence that supports the use of this metric. The accelerated expansion of the universe was first discovered in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae. This discovery was later confirmed by other cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.